PDA

View Full Version : USB and Computers

Bill Thorpe
09-19-2007, 11:22 AM
There has been much discussion about the USB interface between the control box and the computer that drives it. It has been suggested in previous posts that the installation of a USB PCI card in the computer and the addition of a USB hub will mitigate most of the problems. I have been experiencing some of these same problems. I ordered a hub and PCI card from TigerDirect.com. Here are the part numbers:
Hub C184-29563
PCI card P511-1066

Total cost was 42.47 after a 10.00 rebate.

Installation was a snap. All the problems I was having are now in the past. I highly recommend this upgrade.

paco
09-19-2007, 12:41 PM
If the motherboard already has USB 2.0 ports/feature in, one don't need the card. That may not the one(s) at the rear IO/connector panel. Just get a USB 2.0 hub and plug in.

sagreen83
09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I dont get it... How does the HUB cause connection problems to go away? You are still talking to the hub via a port that was causing problems in the first place. How can using this same port with a hub solve anything?

Brady Watson
09-19-2007, 02:33 PM
On some computers (Dell, Gateway etc) the keyboard and mouse share the same USB root as the ATEN serial bridge (SB) and compete with each other causing interupts. By installing a PCI to USB card, you effectively move the SB to a completely different USB channel.

A 2.0 hub, even in a 1.0 port, will give you access to an 'enhanced' port. You should assign the ShopBot ATEN serial bridge to this enhanced port via the Device Manager in Windows. This will open up bandwith and speed even on a 1.0 port. Some computers will lock up with a 2.0 hub in a 1.0 port, depending on how the motherboard handles it. In this case, use a 2.0 PCI card (even a Belkin brand one from Staples will work) and plug a 2.0 hub into that to get the enhanced port. The 2.0 card by itself does not show an enhanced port. You need this to take advantage of higher speeds.

In recent versions of SB3, there is a SpeedTest.exe and a USBView.exe utility under the Diagnostic folder in: C:/Pragram Files/ShopBot3 - I suggest you familiarize yourself with them and make use of them to see how your tool stacks up with communication speeds.

Here's a screenshot of USBView showing the ATEN serial bridge sitting under the enhanced port of the 2.0 hub:

-B

Bill Thorpe
09-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Brady, Thanks for the explanation.

The PCI USB board may not have been needed but, it was easier to do it all at once than try the hub then order the board if that did not work. Time is money. In my case it was money well spent.

duster91
01-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Is it possible to have the computer as far as 26 feet away from the Shopbot controler without any problems.Do i need a certain of usb cable to do the job

Brady Watson
01-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Charlie - NO! The computer must be no more than 12 feet away from the control box to get reliable performance. It is a better idea to put the computer next to the control box & extend your PS/2 keyboard, mouse and monitor. I have successfully run PS/2 over 50 feet in industrial applications, so there should be no problem there. The shorter your USB, the better.

-B

gabepari
09-22-2008, 04:17 PM
OK, 73.8% on the speedtest has been ok for a while. But now (I changed my drivers back up to 1000 steps per rev from 500) and with 3:1 gearboxes and 25T pinions, I think my UV are high enough for the port to stumble. Cutting circles at 8ips, I'm getting a rough stumbling sound and feeling.

Dell computer. I got a 2.0 card, and a 2.0 hub. Plug it all in and I can't get the ATEN bridge to sit under an enhanced bus. How do you change the assignment? I have an enhanced bus on the motherboard and on the new USB card. But no matter how I plug it in, I can't get it to assign it to the enhanced one.

Thanks,

Gabe "This is driving me crazy" Pari

gabepari
09-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Nevermind, the hub that was labeled 2.0 wasn't really a 2.0 hub. Go figure. New hub cured it. I'm at 83% now.

hykambois
03-18-2009, 05:57 AM
I just got my PRSSTANDARD and I have a big problem with running USB cable between VFD, Control Board and computer. I've followed all Assembly Instructions but have difficulties to understand how to run the USB cable from VFD pannel to my computer. please, I need help, as possible with pictures from PRSSTANDARD owners.

erik_f
03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
I don't have a VFD, but I don't think you use any control directly from the computer for it. The only USB cable I have is the one from my computer to the controller box. To control your VFD from the control software requires a connection to the shopbot control box...not your computer (as far as I know). You should be able to control your spindle manually until you get the connection to the control box.

knight_toolworks
03-19-2009, 12:23 AM
the usb cable goes to your computer. unless you bought the spindle control board there is no usb cable to the vfd.
if you have the spindle speed control then that usb cable plugs into your computer too.

alvaro
03-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I installed all the software shopbot on my computer, I have reviewed all the connections of the control box and I have reviewed all the mechanics of the machine in this order. And yet I fail to establish connection between PC and control box. I connected the usb cable directly to pc board, but I get a window which recognizes the usb port but does not connect with the board. I can do I can not communicate with my shopbot. Just get shopbot 3 preview function and appears to want to change to move / cut the falls appear "run time error 91". I am wrong, and I begin to despair, any comment is welcome, thanks

alvaro
03-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Ok, now I have achieved that the engines express(emit) a sound of functioning, without the conección with the control box this(this one) completes, even I do not manage to command the shopbot from my PC, please anybody can help me me guie, thank you.