PDA

View Full Version : Assembly Help

wegner81
02-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I have my Table assembly level-square-parallel. So I tightened eveything up to that point. When I went to install the X rail on the table side rails I noticed that X rail were the same length, but did not match up to the side rail length. So I checked the side rail length and one was 5/16 of an inch longer than the other. I know now that my square is not true because the two side rails were not the same length when the diagonal measurents were taken. My ? is I would assune that the most important diagonal square point would be from the corners of the X rails, so should I loosen up bolts and resquare from the X rail points? Just checking to see if my assumption is on the right track. Thanks for any help!!!!!

fleinbach
02-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Kevin,

Though it may be desireable to the perfectionist it is totaly irrelevant weather the table itself is perfectly square. The main thing is that the X rails are parallel to each other. As long as they are parallel to each other you will be able to fine tune the X car square to the rails.

If you roll the X car by hand up and down the X-rails the V-bearing should stay in contact at all points along it's travel. If they are not making contact at all points along the way loosen the bolts and readjust them.

shovel3d
08-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I just got a shopbot on e-bay yesterday.
Do'nt know much about it, but have a picture
of it. I was told a pr 96. But can you look at the picture an maybe give me a rundown on it.
Thanks My first post & cnc router

zeykr
08-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Thomas,
That is a PR alright on a factory steel table. Partner uses one that looks almost like it.

Looks like it has two of the lead screw type z axis. While old, the PR is still plenty workable and if you dig a little you'll find info here on updates such as bishop wiscarver rails. If you get into much 3d, you may want to look at replacing one of the Z's with a PRT style rack and pinion Z.

On the PR the gantry wheels ran on the edge of unistrut. After quite a bit a use the wheels would wear into the strut which causes a little bit of loss in accuracy, but I've seen them run fine with a lot of wear on the unistrut. The update to new BWC rails is probably the most common upgrade.

shovel3d
08-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Ken How old would you say this is. The guy had a fire in his shop It melted the wiring an pc. But I got it for $250.00 I'll go pick it up next week. It would have stepper motors right.
Thanks

beacon14
08-03-2008, 10:18 PM
If the person you bought it from purchased it new then ShopBot should have their info on file. Contact the ShopBot office to update their records and they might be able to give you more info. They can also tell you what will be required to put the unit back into service.