PDA

View Full Version : CROWN MOLDING MATERIAL

stockbub
03-25-2007, 03:13 AM
I am going to have to make some paint grade crown molding material and my thought was using material that sign guys normally use. It is going to be 1' in the air so noone will ever tough it, but must be able to attach to each end at 45 and not come loose. What are some material options and how do I go about finishing themq

beacon14
03-25-2007, 11:40 AM
What's wrong with buying some paint-grade crown molding? Unless you need a profile that's not available or a curved piece it's probably cheaper and faster to buy it.

BTW do I get a prize for reaching 500 posts?

jhicks
03-25-2007, 11:47 AM
I second Davids thought. Unless there is some unusual reason to go with something Like HDU at quite a premium,stick to store bought crown and be done with it.
Buying, ripping, profiling, not to mention design and cut time is way overboard and costly.

bleeth
03-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I third that. Actually this post is just for an opportunity to tell Dave B. to "Read em and weep"!!
(I missed when I hit 500-Maybe it was one Nancy deleted!!!)

stockbub
03-26-2007, 12:05 AM
The crown molding needed is 12" tall and current back order time is 9 weeks. I have 6 columbs 2' x 2', so that is 64 feet, so roughly it is 3 pieces of 4x8 completly milled. That is the problem

bleeth
03-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Unlesss the spec forbids it use mdf for paint grade. That volume is going to be a lot of cutting. I'd rather clean up mdf than all that foam, not to mention the high cost of the foam.

jhicks
03-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Martin, it does seem like a nice niche opportunity but I think folks are just saying the bot may not be the most efficient way to go.
I know Mark at Foamcarver does some nice hot wire cutting and can make this type of grand profile in EPS but you would have to work on the finishing with his recommendations.
Of course one could buy profile knoves and run through a moulder as well but 12" is a lot of material cutting so several passes at about 8' / minute but still more efficient and you could use HDU with probably 1 pass.
Nice opportunity, hope you get it at a great price.

stockbub
03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
I thougth about profiling with my molder, but your right about a lot of material being taken off. I can use mdf, but not sure if 1" is going to be enought. With this material priced out at $40.00 a foot, that is roughly $1280 for a 4 x 8 sheet. That is the variables I have to work with. Also, If I am going to do it on the Bot, can add a few other details for a few extra $$$.

jhicks
03-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Martin, HDU in 1,1/2" should be about $250.00 to $300.00 per 4x8 but that's from memory. What costs $40.00/ ft, the finished piece? I ripped some 1/1/2" hdu and profiles last week and it machined very well on a moulding in a single pass so I'm sure you'll figuire out the most effective way.
Of course MDF would chew up a set of knives quickly
Can't wait to see photos when you're done.

toolguy
03-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Martin, If you have a moulder, that is the best way to do crown moulding. Is it straight crown or curved? If it's straight, run it through a v fixture. if it's curved, find someone with a Mikron Multi-moulder or E-mail me for the location of one. CNC Routers aren't really meant to make crown moulding good luck
Bruce

dray
03-27-2007, 08:48 PM
I know a guy in FLA that will cut incredibly detailed foam crown or anything (even 3d) for great prices and ship same day. His name is Ed Reese
his # is 727-267-9999