PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting started

mike_greschuk
08-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi,
New to ShopBot not new to Thermwood and Ecabs.I'm having problem writing the code to ShopBot. When I click write to shopbot it takes me to a screen that asks me to select a shopbot part file. I've attached a pic of the screen I get. Am I missing something? Any help would surely be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

thewoodcrafter
08-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Mike,

You mean when you click "Write to ShopBot" in the SB Link program?

Do you have a TWD file loaded and nested?

mike_greschuk
08-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Yes I've loaded and nested a TWD. file, nested it and wrote to shopbot. and this is the screen it takes me to. I have operated a cs-45 for about five years now so I am familier with rolling nest which is almost identical to the link.If I have the preview code box checked it shows me the g code but then sends me to this screen. Any ideas? Thanks for responding.
Mike

thewoodcrafter
08-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I don't know Mike, I haven't seen that screen pop up on me.
What happens when you hit "Open" ?
Because that is the file the Link generates.

Are you using Vista?
E-cabinets does not support Vista, I don't know about the Link.

mike_greschuk
08-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I get this screen. Yes it is Vista. I've been running Ecabs on Vista with very few issues since it was released on a couple of my computers. I keep an XP computer around just to check if issues might be Vista related.

mike_greschuk
08-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Here is a picture of the preview code which looks like typical G code to me and then when I continue it takes me to the first picture I posted

thewoodcrafter
08-28-2009, 10:59 PM
This has got to be Vista related.

What happens when you hit open at that first screen you posted?

The path is different or something.

Gary Campbell
08-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Michael...
On the setup page, uncheck "view file before writing to ShopBot" I dont think the link will send to machine until that is unchecked.

Roger is correct. There is no instance that I can think of where the Link would open a dialog to "select a SB parts file", UNLESS there is an erroneous or unknown [FP] command in the code.

I would also want to verify what command is causing the dialog in your 10:36 post, as this is usually returned by an improper variable or command line. Possibly a text line that wasnt rem'd out.

You might want to do an export and send this one to TWD.
Gary

Gary Campbell
08-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Michael...
Can you tell me what the content of your C6, C7 and C9 files is? IF they have not been properly configured as toolchanger files, they may call up some strange things.

They are located in C:\SbParts\Custom\Custom6...7...&9
Gary

mike_greschuk
08-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Gary, I'm not going to be in the shop till Tuesday. I'll get in touch with Thermwood then and see if they can help. In my 9:33 post. In the drop down box on the bottom left is the line data sbe. when I open that is when I get odd looking code. I will look further into the toolchanger files as well before hand.
Thanks for all your help
Mike

Gary Campbell
08-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Mike...
That text shown looks more like the "generic custom file" instruction than actual cutting code.

Question, Have you replaced the existing C6,7,9 (installed with SB3) files with another version? These would not be the proper files without a manual file move or copy. IF not, then your problem most likely lies there. You would have also had to make a couple minor changes to your my_variables file, as the supplied variables have a couple errors.

I have a couple articles on the SB website that explain this: http://www.shopbottools.com/garysmusings.htm#Link1
Gary

mike_greschuk
08-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Thank you for the link. I have not modified anything as far as I know
. The ShopBot is a new machine that has not seen any real work yet. It is fit with 2 5 hp routers ? and a air drill. Unfortunately the ShopBot software has dissppeared so loading it on a XP computer is not an option.Right now we are really busy with installations and work in progress so I can't spend as much time with the machine as I would like to. I will repost when the issues are resolved or I aquire more info.
Thank You for all your help,
Mike

Gary Campbell
08-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Mike...
The lastest SB software (required for SB Link) is a free download on the SB Website: http://www.shopbottools.com/controlsoftware.htm.

If you were using a version prior to 3.6.* you will not be able to properly run TWD files.
Gary

thewoodcrafter
08-29-2009, 11:42 AM
You know, Gary, that could be the problem.
Not running 3.6 version software.
The link is calling the SB control program but it does not recognize the file it is being sent.

mike_greschuk
08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
I will check the version when I get in next week. Could very well be the issue. The machine has just been collecting dust since it was assembled. Thanks for all the great responses,
Mike

mike_greschuk
09-06-2009, 10:26 AM
So the machine's software was out of date.Thank You for all your help. Looking forward to doing some machining now if I can get to the shop for a few days

Mike

thewoodcrafter
09-06-2009, 10:50 AM
That should do the trick.
The right control software makes a difference.
It will work now (if you have the tool changer files set up right).
Good Luck.

mike_greschuk
09-10-2009, 09:36 PM
I was reading on the ecab forum about tight dadoes for blind tenons. On a Thermwood machine you can adjust the daylight for the cutter so it goes deeper or shallower on the dadoes to produce a correction. We used to select a sheet in the nest that had a lower deck and lower cab side on it and check the fit then make the correction in the daylight settings. Is this possible in the Shop Bot
Thanks ,
Mike

Gary Campbell
09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Mike...
I have a little "sneak" file that does this. It sneaks in as a sheet macro and allows a Z depth adjustment based on the previous sheets cutting results. The problem with this method is that it results in deeper cuts for all cuts on the whole sheet. Backs fit sloppy and the spoilboard gets gouged up more than needed.

The problem, as I see it, is caused by different types of dados being cut in different directions. Full width dados that get pocketed are being cut in the conventional direction which yields correct or slightly oversized dados(.010-.020) and tenon dados, which are an inside profile cut in the climb mill direction are returning undersize (.010-.020) cuts. This is in the code of the Link, I believe.

We have a side clearance adjustment, but using it to adjust one, makes the other worse. In other words I can adjust the tenons larger to fit, but then the full dados are .040 oversize.

We do also have the ability to make the tenons cut in the conventional direction by selecting that for profile cuts. This ended up being the worse of the 3 options as it returned parts that were .020 -.030 undersize and not even close to the cut quality of the climb/conventional cut method that has become the "norm" using eCabs on a ShopBot.

Hope this explained it.
Gary

mike_greschuk
09-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Hello Gary,
Thanks for the information. I have 2 routers on the Shopbot one would be designated for a 3/8 downshear cutter that would do all dadoes and pockets Would I be able to cheat the one specific router.

Gary Campbell
09-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Mike...
I just saw a post from Larry Epplin on the eCabs forum. He says this will be an added feature in the near future. You wont have to cheat anything.
Gary