PDA

View Full Version : The new PRS tools are official...

henrik_o
02-04-2007, 01:35 PM
So, shopbot now lists the PRS tools on their website, complete with specs, pricing and some pics & video.

It would be very interesting to hear the forum denizens comments on the new version, maybe some comment from shopbot as well? I understand that the new version was demoed at the Atlanta meet, so several botters should have had a chance to see it and get some info.

What are the improvements of the PRS Alpha over the PRT Alpha? Are there any changes to available configurations (additional z, ... )?

Some discussion was had in the Anyone have info on the new shopbot due in early feb? (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/16412.html?1167742660) thread, now that the new systems are officially on display, what can be added?

rustnrot
02-04-2007, 03:24 PM
I was at the Atlanta Camp Shopbot. The PRS was NOT demo-ed there. We were handed a new price sheet with the PRS machines on it, that's all. I have, however, ordered one and expect it about April 1. I also expect there are others that will get delivery of their new PRS before then.

henrik_o
02-04-2007, 03:56 PM
My bad, I thought I read somewhere that it would be demoed there.

Looking at the new price list, under "Accessories" I see an entry for an "Additional Independent YZ" priced at $2895 -- $900 more than the "Additional Tandem Z Axis" @ $1995.

Is this a new item? The "Production Aids" page does list and spec the tandem, but not this... thing.

byoc
02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I was at the factory a month ago and we got to see the 5 x 10 machine in action.

Nothing really different from the way Bill and Scott explained it to me. I think the biggest difference is that the Y rail is more efficient now. It looks more like the X rail does on the PRT. The rails are now made out of aluminum instead of steel so they said there's no need to use shims on the PRS.

THey said the price wouldn't change that much because the rails cost more now, but there is only one stepper motor in the Y.

I could be wrong though, but that's how I remember it.

richards
02-06-2007, 05:39 PM
The new machines look good to me. After watching the videos and looking at the specs, they've fixed the two things that bothered me with my Alpha:

1. They've added geared motors, which should eliminate the 'chatter' problem.

2. They're using hardened rails instead of the soft, relatively rough rails that came with my Alpha.

In addition to that, the re-arranged carriage will make using the machine much easier.

There's much left on my wish list. Good work Ted!

handh
02-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I have a question that probally is simple just couldn't figure out, were do you put a extra z axis or a drill head on the new system.

mziegler
02-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Aluminum rails? I hope they are hardened steel rails. Mark

Also I like to know how the second z axis is mounted on the carriage. Side to side or is front and back? Where is the air drill head mount at?

Brady Watson
02-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Jeff,
You need to order a table made to accomodate the extra Z (or drill head). The new PRS parks the unused axis either below Y0 or above Y48 (or 60 if you get a 5'). The table itself is actually a foot wider than a tool that has one Z axis. So...be sure to order the right tool for you from the start. All Z axes park on the same X-side of the gantry. The rails are hardened steel. Some call the aluminum table sides 'rails'.

All in all I am very impressed with the new machine. It is beautifully designed, (and downright sexy) has the right rails for production, a stiffer gantry and 7.2:1 geared Alpha motors. I have run these motors on my Alpha for the past year and they really add quite a bit of resolution and torque over the 1:1 Alpha setups. I know a lot of Alpha users balk about the 1:1 motors, but if you owned a PRT before an Alpha, the tool was many times better than the PRT...but that's a whole 'nuther thread. The PRT-equivalent, called the 'PRS Standard' now uses the non-Alpha Vexta steppers like the 3G PRT and comes with 4G Gecko driver setup standard. The PRS standard is an incredible value for $7995...I bet these things will be FLYING out the door at that price!

-B

byoc
02-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Well...Appearently, almost everything I said about the new PRS was erroneous, so disregard my previous post.