PDA

View Full Version : PR machine and Part Wizard

waynec@gorge.net
09-12-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm even closer to buying a secondhand PR machine with a DOS controller. Are there restrictions on what software I can use with the DOS controller? Can I use Part Wizard? Can I use Vector or TurboCad/Cam? I know these are Win programs, so I'm talking about file compatibility. The controller will run on a dedicated DOS machine, and I'll transfer files via disk. What sort of file does the Dos controller take? A DXF file, a shopbot file? Any version compatibility issues with the current version of PartsWizard or Vector?
Is there a manual I can download on this older machine/controller?
Great to have a place to ask these questions, BTW.

beacon14
09-12-2004, 11:13 AM
You can use any of the above programs and more as long as your computer has the processing speed and RAM to handle them. The ShopBot, whether you use the DOS or Windows version, uses ShopBot Part Files, which are essentially text files containing a list of commands for the machine to execute. You may use the exact same Part File in DOS or Windows versions, which means you can use the Windows version on your design computer, including the windows previewer, then run the files on your machine using the DOS version. There are no version compatibility issues that I know of. (PartWizard requires Windows).
The user's guide and programming manuals used to be available for download from the ShopBot web site, but I no longer see them there. They should be available from ShopBot

David B.