PDA

View Full Version : I need help cutting this part.

knight_toolworks
03-05-2008, 01:40 AM
right now this is 1.5" tall and the bevel angle is around 32 degrees.
the fellow said we could make it taller up to 2.5" so a 45 would work. well I played with it and a 90 degree v works but it needs to be 4" diameter to cut to the lip. if I use a smaller diameter bit it just ends up countersinking into the part.so I may be doing something wrong. here are some pics. first is the drawing. the second is a 4" v and the third is a 2" v I need to do this with a smaller bit. 4" would be an issue I would think.

joe
03-05-2008, 07:52 AM
With ArtCam I believe this is called a Two Rail Sweep. The process is to select a profile drawing and then the shape. "Caluclate" Artcam will quickly give you a precise 3D file.

My good friend Gary Beckwith has been helping with some of these. It's so easy when you have a genius standing over your shoulder.

stevem
03-05-2008, 09:16 AM
You should be able to use any diameter V bit to cut a pocketing path. The software should compensate for the bit diameter as the bit plunges deeper into the part. If you send me the part file and material and bit details, I will try to generate a tool path for you in VisualMill.

You can also cut the angle with a ball nose bit. This would take much longer, but would allow you to cut any angle with the same bit.

knight_toolworks
03-06-2008, 12:50 AM
I tried pocketing but it did not work. here it is with several stepdowns.

rhfurniture
03-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Had to do something similar last year. I:
1. Made a full depth and diameter cut in scrap. Measured it with micrometers etc. (45 deg is often approximate with cutters).
2. Drew a cross section of cutter and object, and a full 3d of the object in cad.
3. Figured out individual x,y plane cutpaths at different Z's in the 3d model.
Then you can use "cut along vector" options in your pathing software of choice.

R.