PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot reliability??

jsatter@neandertech.com
11-09-2003, 02:42 AM
Hello i am looking to purchase a cnc router in the near future and i hve a few questions. How reliable is the shopbot as far as the steppers and the software? I guess what i am saying is does the machines very often go "haywire" and scrap parts? I need a router that is electronically stable and proofed out. Also are these machines capable of 3d machining such as cutting concave chair seats and cutting circles? I have ran cnc machines that were servo powered but i am new to the stepper motors , do they lose steps often ? Thanks for any info

rgbrown@itexas.net
11-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Jeremy,

First, I need to emphasize my experiences are on an OLD ShopBot. There have been a lot of improvements since mine was cobbled together with UniStrut, screendoor rollers and home-built gearboxes. Improvements are constant on these machines, they take care of problems when they arise.

Nearly all of my problems have been "Operator Error". I have blown-up and burned boards, I have had employees ruin boards. I dropped a stepper-motor and bent a shaft - the stepper eventually failed. Only the stepper failing - it was on the "Z" axis, caused a part failure.

I had some problems with "lost steps". Once the screendoor rollers were replaced with REAL bearings, that problem evaporated, for the most part. The next occurrence of failed steps happened when the gear-racks needed grease. All other "lost step" problems were all mine - failing to turn the router on in time, a broom leaning against a rail and locking the "X" carriage- brilliant things like that. When the steppers jump phase, there is usually a reason not related to the design, like running into a clamp.

In my opinion the greatest problem one will have getting into CNC will be learning to write a proper tool-path. I can almost guarantee one new to writing files for a CNC machine will scrap more in the first month than the machine's problems will in the first year - perhaps in the life of the machine.

PartWizzard, the design software now supplied with a ShopBot, will not do "3D carving". I am pretty sure the original "File Convert" will but, it would take a thorough knowledge of tool-path creation to get a DXF file written properly for the converter to make an efficient file.

Ron

kerrazy
11-09-2003, 11:34 AM
I can echo ron's comments,
It is ussually only user error that may cause the machine to go errant.
I have had my fair shre of incidents smashing the x into a locker door, ramming the Z to deep, cutting the head off a quick grip or two...
When I don't ensure the area is clear, and safe then all is well!
rest assured the machine really is a useful, reliable tool but must be teamed up with appropriate software to get the best use of it, especilly when it comes to 3D work.

I will post this week some pictures of a piece finllly finished with some really neat 3D work.

Dale

jamesgilliam
11-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Jeremy,

I have had my machine for the last two years and the only time it has gone haywire was from my error. The stepper motors are very stable and do not loose their place at all, unless there are outside factors. Like Ron, I have lost position due to clamps, and failing to start the router in time for the cut to begin. Most problems are operator or programmer error, and often it does not affect the machine. Worst mistake I have done was forgetting to connect at Z to jog to the next part, and my bit went tearing through 3/4" birch plywood at 2 1/2" per second, instead of my usual 1/2" per second. Hit the emergency stop and jogged back to the home position. Re-generated the cut file (this time with the connect at Z), and just started over again. The ShopBot never lost its zero position. As far as a router I am using a Porter Cable variable speed. Can't see the model number due to how I have it mounted. While other routers may not have the noise level of this router, I would not use anything else. It has performed above average in my opinion, and a usual week of cutting for it is around 20 to 25 hours, at either 19,000 or 21,000rpm.

artisan
11-09-2003, 04:04 PM
I can echo Ron, Dale and Jame's statements with one important addition. Maybe the strongest reason of all to buy a Shopbot..... is this Forum. When you DO have a problem....there is more support here than most of of the other machines combined....D

rgbrown@itexas.net
11-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Darrell,

You just say that cuz its true...

jay
11-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Darrell, I have had my 'bot' now for a couple of months. Everytime I have thought there was something wrong with the machine it has always been operator error. Thank you ShopBot for making such a forgiving machine and for providing the valuable 'Forum' as a tool.

jaum@alltel.net
11-09-2003, 08:49 PM
I'll echo all of the above but want to say that my experience with the shopbot and the shopbot organization over the past 3 years has been nothing short of great. You'll love the machine, You will find that the ShopBot organization is one of the best and unbelieveable helpfull, and as mentioned above, this forem is a great asset.

Lots of choices on software. This will be part of the learning curve, choosing what you need. I prefer a combination of Vector and ArtCamPro depending on what I want to do. ArtCam is a bit pricey but worth it.

bjwat@comcast.net
11-10-2003, 12:17 AM
What's with all of the 'echoing' going on in here???

For me, the support, kind natured shopbot community and versatility of the machine really presented the best value of anything out there. I know that I'd have to spend $250,000 to get another machine with all of the options like my Bot from another vendor...and the service and support would probably cost me a bundle if I did.

Reliability...Rock solid. More so than myself most days

-Brady

prosigns
11-16-2003, 05:44 PM
I had a multicam before I bought a shopbot.(10 years old & died of a terminal electronics problem) You know what a shopbot cost. A Multicam 4'x8' table will cost you $40,000.00. That's why I switched to Shopbot. Just finished my first job (A repeat order) on the Shopbot and actually had a better finished product than with the old machine. Comparing a 10 yr. old machine to a new one is a little like comparing apples to oranges I suppose, but I was very impressed with the Z axis accuarcy. The fact that the Shopbot has a Z-plate to find "0" and the fact that you can machine the table surface with the router to get an even work surface really made a difference. That's something I couldn't do with an aluminum T-slot table (it was never exactly true no matter how much I tried leveling the table). Hats off to Shopbot, I think this is going to be a fun machine to use!
Gary

Rob Williams
11-17-2003, 11:47 AM
I came from a shop that had a CamTech then they upgraded to a KOMO VR510, all the bells and whistles....

I aquired my Bot and right off the bat I'm doing more with it (faster), than we were able to do with the $42,000.00 CamTech, at better quality I might add.

The Bot doesn't really compare to the KOMO, but it's also not a $250,000.00 machine.

Besides that, my old employer barely uses,I'd say, 20% of the KOMO's capabilities, and certainly doesn't use it's capacity.

In my book that's a big waste of money. I could take two Bot's and turn out what they do with one KOMO for a FRACTION of the money.

Also, the complexity of the KOMO makes it a timely machine to program. I can take a CAD drawing, generate the toolpaths, and be cutting in the time it takes to set up a file for the KOMO.

Rollie Peter (Unregistered Guest)
02-20-2004, 02:30 PM
I am going to disagree with everyone else's comments. We bought one for a school shop and it has been a joke. It is not user friendly and we have had our two tech men here at the school even try to figure it out and they haven't had any luck. A main board on the CP unit went out and we didn't have any hours on the machine. I wouldn't waste my money on one.

tberkner
02-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Had mine for maybe 4 years (time flies when you get old). Had one problem about a year ago. The z-axis was losing counts on the up stroke. ShopBot suggested the springs might be getting weak. Added a couple of 3" blocks to stretch the springs, and not a problem since. Of course, I've made some stupid mistakes, but that I expected. So far the machine has survived the all.

K Simmerer (Unregistered Guest)
02-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Rollie,
Of course you immediatly figure the board going out was the fault of the machine. I'll bet you have the best surge protection money can buy, that the entire facility is single point bonded and that you never get lightning or power surges where you live. I also would be sure that there is no chance that you operated the machine with a loose electrical connection, or moved the carriages without unplugging the stepper motors because you stood guard over it, right??? See my post in response your flames elsewhere on this board today. All I can say is "consider the source" and "congratulations on that tremendous 13 hour per year effort your instructors and students put into the project, very commendable".

Maybe the controller died of boredom??.. Maybe the cooling fan rusted solid and it overheated??.. Did you check for cobwed build-up and mouse nests before turning it on last??..

I had a car that was parked for two years and a family of oppossums was living under the hood. might be worth a look see...

Keith

Dan B. (Unregistered Guest)
04-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Hi
My PRT 48 is up and running. I must admit mounting the X and Y rails kicked my butt for a while but I won. Things when well after that. This machine is FANTASTIC. I even made a simple sign in PW and ran it on the Bot. What a thrill it was to see it work The ShopBot is going to replace the dog as mans best friend.
Dan B.
P.S. I do have one small problem at this time. I can’t get the remote pendant to move XY or Z. The input lights come on and the E stop works.

Dan B.

frank
04-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Dan,
If you are running version 3 software, the mouse is set as the default remote. Type VD and change the Keypad Remote setting to Shopbot/Inputs. If this is not the problem then call me so I can get some more info.