PDA

View Full Version : My new tilting top shopcart.

knight_toolworks
05-16-2009, 03:19 AM
I got a nice job of making parts for a silk screener. The job is cutting parts from ¾” melamine 15 or more sheets at a time. I have to haul the sheets about 50 feet and it was killing me. So now that the job is a repeat I needed a material cart.
So today I came up with this design after look at a few carts. The top is 48”x48” and the base is about 45x36” I wanted it a bit narrower but I was not sure about stability. I tested it by doing a pushup on the top edge and the cart did not rock and I weigh 260 or so. I was not sure of the weight limit so I made it to handle 5 sheets of ¾” stock.
The cart was made with 3 sheets of ¾” (I wish) shop birch plywood. I wanted to use Russian ply but it is 90.00 a sheet verses 35.00
Also the hardware was around 90.00 the wheels are really nice and they lock normally plus rotation is locked too they were about 17.00 each I used lag screws on the front of the table to hold the frame and the lip in place. I used a ¾” bolt for the pivots. I wanted something with a large bearing surface to keep the design with wood only to make it easier to build. It will also have a flip out stop for the sloping side for uneven loads but I did not have a hinge on hand.
The rails are 2 pieces of ply glued and nailed together. Then everything was screwed together.
I had to cut the slots in the base again as they were not long enough. I goofed a bit and cut outside and not inside.
I will have the vcarve file if anyone wants it. It may need a bit of work to get the dado’s the right size depending on your ply. Plys I reused toolpaths for different sheets to make sure you work that out.
I had to trim a little bit off the top of the vertical supports to get the top to tilt right. I also had to move the front cross rail on the base down a bit.

mccoy178
05-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Could you share some more pics? I'm trying to figure it out. It looks cool!

knight_toolworks
05-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I should have taken more. both top and bottom are just simple frames 1.5"x4" rails glued and screwed to the base and top.
I glued up the rails and nailed them together. no real joints but the dado's for the rails. I will get more pictures today I wanted to go home it was 9pm when I finished.

mikeacg
05-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Good to hear it's not just me. I was trying to figure out how the sheets stayed on the cart and didn't have a clue. I like the looks of it though!!

Mike

coach
05-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Steve, here is a web site for wheels. I just saved a bundle even with shipping from Massachusetts to Florida. I purchased 30 wheels for $10.00 each with the dual locks and rated 300 # each.
www.sescasters.com (http://www.sescasters.com)
Can you share what it is you make for the silk screen shop? I rent my shop from a company that does silk screening. If not I certainly understand.
David

knight_toolworks
05-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I did not have time to shop around I thought the cart out draw it and built it all yesterday when I found they could not get the sheets close enough to my door.
I cut platens out that go inside shirts and such. so simple shapes out of the melemime with rounded corners. they more of a silkscreen supplier then anything else I think.

knight_toolworks
05-16-2009, 04:10 PM
ok more pictures

knight_toolworks
05-16-2009, 04:11 PM
A couple more

mikeacg
05-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Steve,

That makes it so much clearer! Thanks for taking so much of your time to share this.
I have a Buddy but could still use this design {if you don't mind} since my outfeed conveyor is outside the building. I would modify this concept a bit with pneumatic tires and my sign guys would say thank you for making their job easier when they drop materials off for me to cut. They could roll it out to the trailer, load it and then just push it back under the carport for me so it is waiting when I get home from my day job.

mccoy178
05-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Wow, that is really efficient. I sure could use one of these around the high school shop. (hint hint) If I only knew someone who had made plans up already.............

myxpykalix
05-16-2009, 09:39 PM
If you really want to make it easy on yourself go on down to Lowes or Home depot and ask if they have any old broken carts you could have. It is usually just a matter of fixing a wheel. Then the metal divider in the center you can attach a table to swing the material horizontal.

mrdovey
05-16-2009, 10:53 PM
There're photos of a simpler (and less elegant) panel cart here (http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/PanelCart/). With these photos you may not need plans. I built the one shown to be the height of the top of my spoilboard.

knight_toolworks
05-16-2009, 11:14 PM
I used yours too. but I was not sure how much weight it could take. I don't know how much mine can take though it seems fine with 5 sheets of 3/4" mdf.

mmccue29
05-17-2009, 09:39 AM
very cool. What a great idea

knight_toolworks
05-17-2009, 02:13 PM
ok there is the vcarve file. you need to modify the dado's as most are set for 3/4" stock. only the top is set for thinner stock. it takes three sheets of 3/4" ply wheels 3/4"x4" bolts for the hinge and some work here and there.
if you make improvements send them to me.
http://knight-toolworks.com/test/cart.zip

mccoy178
05-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Excellent! Thanks so much!

zeykr
05-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks, think one of these would come in handy!

upsman
05-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Good Job! Much cheaper then my cart from
http://www.shopcartsusa.com/