PDA

View Full Version : Project help

srwtlc
06-16-2003, 02:01 PM
I have a project where the customer wants four panels incorporated into the front of a small bar. The panels that they have seen appear to be a cast bronze or embossed copper.( They can be seen here http://www.lexington.com/ProductDetail.cfm?collection=96&room=0&furntype=7& nam_key=31149 ) I have a larger picture and the panels appear to be a grapevine design. I've searched and searched, but have come up with mainly just 2' x 2' ceiling panels in tin or copper finished tin. A cast bronze panel search yielded even less. I'm wondering if anyone might know where I could find such product or if someone would have a 3D relief file of a grapevine that would cut a wood panel with the Bot. If the customer would go for a wood panel(which I think he would), I would be willing to pay for file development.

Scott

pjweber@insightbb.com
06-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Here is a suggestion:

http://www.mcintyre-tile.com/Specs/CarvedRelief.pdf

Several companies make 3D relief ceramic tiles.
If you don't like those in the above web site, try a local tile store - they have catalogs.
If you can find a tile with the right proportions, you can probe it, and then scale it to the desired size when you cut it. If you don't want to probe it, there are several folks who will do this (for a price) for you.

gerald_d
06-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Out here, it will be completely viable and economical to have it done by hand, by a woodcarver. I wouldn't automatically seek a Shopbot method.

pjweber@insightbb.com
06-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Gerald, the picture Scott points us to shows what appears to be three identical carved panels approximately 9 inches by 24 inches or 1.5 square feet each. The carvings stand out of the front, so the background must be carved away - (I'm not sure what the term describing this is). How much do you estimate all three of these would cost if they were carved from mahagony?

bruno
06-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Scott Worden (Srwtlc)
Hi. I,m a ShopBotter and also as a day job do fancy iron and bronze projects for the big houses in Aspen and Vail. It's my experience that for one time projects like yours might be it easier (less $$$) to make the things dirrectly or do it in wax and have it cast. Will be willing to assist however.
Bill Brunner
970-527-4641

srwtlc
06-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Well, I spoke with the customer today and we have a change of plans now. Instead of grapes and grapevine we're looking at oak leaves and acorns. And instead of copper or bronze panels we're thinking about walnut panels to contrast/complement the main cherry components. Possibly doing a 3D cut of the leaves and acorns out of cherry and applying that to the walnut panel may be a nice touch. At least you wouldn't have to take away the background. Thanks for the info/input. I need to stay within the realm of the doable for I and my humble shop though so that means no casting or forging (unless I farm it out, which is doable). Thanks for offer Bill.

Scott

gerald_d
06-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Harold, I got a price quotation from one of our carvers and he says $330 for all 3 panels in hardwood (mahogany, oak, imbuia, walnut) or $266 in softwood (basswood, jelutong). That price excludes the wood.

pjweber@insightbb.com
06-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Gerard, that is less than I expected. My carving contact is out of town right now, but I will follow up and get a price from him.

harold_weber
07-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Gerald, this is in regard to the price quote for carved panels from about a month ago. Sorry this took so long, I kept getting refered to folks who were on vacation. I got a local price (Southern Indiana, Central USA) for three panels, 9 by 24 inches, 1.5 square feet each, with relief carvings of grape cluster and vines on each. This carver wins prizes at local fairs with his carvings, and will do all three in basswood for $300 excluding the wood. That's about 10% more than the quote you shared, and less than I expected. Not sure how easy this would be to "draw" in ARTCAM Pro (since I don't have ArtCAM Pro) but I think for three pieces, it would probably be less expensive to have the panels hand-carved.