PDA

View Full Version : Help with "rough in"

maginter
01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I had a question relitive to how some of you set up your "rough in". Specifically, if I am making a sign the has a substantial amount of surface area that needs to be removed, but my lettering requires an 1/8" bit to get the detail. How would I set up my file for that? I have looked and obviously I am missing something. I would like to be able to clean out the area with a 1/2" cutter then finish the detailed areas with a 1/8" to get my machine time to a reasonable level. I am running a PRT4896 with V-Carve.

TIA,

Mark

blackhawk
01-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Mark - If I assume that you are placing raised letters inside a pocket, you want to select a V-carve toolpath within Vcarve Pro. When you select the flat bottom option and specify a depth, it will turn on the option of specifying a different tool for pocketing. This pocketing would be what you call "rough in". I am not at my machine, so I can't remember if you can pick an 1/8" bit for the finish cut. You may have to use a V bit for the finish cut.

rcnewcomb
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
The short answer is: use "Offset selected vectors" to create bounding areas for the 1/2" vs. 1/8" bits.

1. select the letters and offset OUTWARD by 1/2 the diameter of the big bit.
2. select the outside bounding shape and offset INWARD by 1/2 the diameter of the big bit.
3. Select the outside bounding shape and the outward offset of the letters and toolpath using the large bit
4. Select ALL vectors and toolpath the smaller bit.

kerrazy
01-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Mark,
Have a peak at this strategy explained by Ed Lang. It looks to bve exactly the work around you are looking for.
http://shopbottools.com/getting_started.htm
Scroll down to Easy signs in 5 steps
Best of Luck,Dale

maginter
01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks Everyone!
This gets me where I need to be.