PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed before i cut....

myxpykalix
10-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I made a jig for a guy to cut a tabletop, a replica of one his grandmother had. He realizes with his router setup he can't do it and wants me to cut it for him...no problem.

As you can see in the first pic i made a practice piece in mdf no problem.

The problem is the wood he sent me and wants me to cut it out of he went and cut it down somewhat for shipping. I made a jig out of scrap mdf to hold it, I have center marked and the outside line cut lines. Since this wood has sentimental meaning I want to make sure i don't cut this wrong and have tried air cutting above the piece but it is too close a call to see it cut well enough to make sure i'm on the lines. My thought was to go buy a point laser and chuck it up and try to follow the cut lines. Does anyone have a better solution?

gwilson
10-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Just a thought, chuck up a "sharpie", eyeball to where it just touchs the wood for zzero. then run the file with out any z movements and see how it looks.
Gerald

gwilson
10-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Did some searching of the forum where others have done this, I remember at one time someone posted picture of them drawing with a sharpie.
Gerald

myxpykalix
10-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I had tried that method before and it wound up pushing the marker part up into the sharpie, plus i didn't want to mark this wood. I just got back from the store and bought a small laser pointer that should go right in my 1/2 collet.

myxpykalix
10-19-2007, 04:19 PM
I had tried that method before and it wound up pushing the marker part up into the sharpie, plus i didn't want to mark this wood. I just got back from the store and bought a small laser pointer that should go right in my 1/2 collet.

cnc_works
10-20-2007, 01:46 AM
A "when I have time" project: Make a spring loaded pen holder for a sharpie or other marker so it works similar to an engraver's floating head. Could be clamped next to the spindle and used with an offset, or made to chuck into a 1/2" collet. Anybody done that? Got plans?

Donn

ron_varela
10-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Donn here is one I made 10 years ago and still works today

http://www.rngengravers.com/MARKERS/SHARPIE.HTM

Ron