PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP / Windows 2000NT networking

john_l
03-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I have an existing network of winXP computers. I have a computer that runs our shop cnc machines that I would like to connect to the XP network (I just ran cat5 to it today). This computer is running Windows 2000NT. My only purpose is for transfering cut files to the CNC computer without running out there every time with a thumbdrive the way i do now.

Is this operating system combo possible?

I tried saving the XP Netsetup file to a disk and running it on the 2000NT but the NT machine gave an error that netsetup isnt supported.

frank134
03-15-2009, 09:12 PM
yes I had a setup like that before we upgrade to 2003 network. we have a file server , but it just set up for group. It should work fine. you should be able to move your files easy.

richards
03-16-2009, 06:27 AM
John, you'll have to configure the Windows 2000NT machine properly (IP address on the same sub-net as your XP computers, proper netmask values, proper gateway IP address, etc.) If you're not familiar with setting up a network, find a local geek to look over your shoulder. (We geeks are easy to spot. We never comb our hair. We change clothes once a month and we sometimes remember to shower every few days. Life is just too short to worry about those kinds of details.)

I manage several networks for some long-time customers. Those networks consist of computers running Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista and many dialects of Linux. They all work together without any problems when they're setup properly.

Your decision to hard-wire the 2000 computer to the network via CAT-5 cable is an excellent choice. I chased an intermittent problem on my Shopbot for months before I realized that a wireless network card in the computer was causing the problem.

john_l
03-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I actually do know of a fella like that around here now that you mention it Mike. hahaha

It helps me to even know it's at all possible.

mims
03-16-2009, 12:26 PM
it will work perfect.. we've used a mixed Win2000/XP office network forever. Make sure the all computers are set to the same Workgroup (or domain if you do it that way) under My Computer>Properties>Computer Name. More than likely, you can leave all the network interface settings to 'auto' (Local Area Connection settings, obtain IP automatically, etc), unless you have a more complex setup. Very easy. Only in the past 2 months did I put XP on my machine, and that was only because a piece of software I upgraded demanded it.. 2000 is super stable.

robtown
03-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I do it every day. I built out an old xeon server when I did my PRT upgrade, bought and installed a fresh copy of XP and set it up to run the Bot. Within 90 days the brand new HD crashed, and of course it happened right when I needed to use the Bot, so I dug my old Dell NT workstation out from 1999 and plugged it right up. It's been running the Bot ever since (networked and all), it's actually the most stable machine I've had hooked to the bot. I did have to install a USB 2.0 card though.

If your network is setup with DHCP it will configure the settings itself.