PDA

View Full Version : Aspire question

bcondon
03-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Have some issues with 3D components and placing them at the correct z value. The issue is that I think I am doing it correctly but there is not a tool which says Loon is 18x36 at layer .1234 and is .3456 thickness.

The question I sent to support at Vectric was is below but thought I might get a good response from someone that has been playing with it a bit more...

I get the feeling that my loon and mountain are not at the z plane = 1 but have no way to verufy that!

=========
This is the first project that I will be using Aspire for 3 D cutting.

I have used Partworks (Shopbot) for 6 months but I am challenged with the component
and the working model. I ave watched the tutorials and though they are good, they leave
out challenging cases.

Mine is simple.

I have an oval plate 36 x 18 that is 1 inch thick

There is an outer ring also 36 x 18 that is .5 inches thick but is only 1" wide so the inner
oval 34 x 16 is not there...

I am trying to have a loon and cattails lie on the inner oval plate at z=1" and mountain
in he background behind the loon's head.

The order is: back plate, cattails (ADD) , mountain scene (ADD) , LOON (ADD) and Ring (ADD), then the loon's head is added to the mountain which wrong.

If I use MERGE for the LOON, then the body is not shown. I have not found any tool to REALLY tell me where the components are.

DO you have suggestions? Is there a tool which says that the loon is on plane 1" and is .2386 inches high because I can only see what I can see in the 3D window but nothing mathematical is available.

I also so not understand why I can not set base Z in the component list for the components. I set a value and it snaps back to zero especially if I try to set the max height.

Thanks for your help,

Bob Condon

Brady Watson
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Bob,
The important value is the start height of the relief. Be sure that each model to be added has a start height high enough to merge into the other components, without being too low so that things disappear - like the loon's body. Try messing with your start heights before you merge them. This will allow you to get things to the correct height.

If you would like me to take a look at the file, email it to me.

-B