PDA

View Full Version : Anyone making dovetails without the dovetail bit?

ken_rychlik
03-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I have been playing with the dovetail issue and want to stop using my jig soon. I am trying to make them with a straight 1/4 inch bit. Kind of like a rounded edge dovetail. I was just wondering if anyone had some dxf files of just such a thing to save me some heartache. I am working with 1/2 inch drawer sides.
Thanks
Kenneth

woodworx
03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
yes I did. look at my website under the cabinets tab. Not hard at all, but you need to design a jig off the end of your table to make the mortises. I actually hung a scrap piece of particle board off the end of the table and cut out a slot for my board to slide up into. Make sure your board is 90 degrees or your cuts won't be quite right. I can send you pics once I get back from Durham.

woodworx
03-04-2009, 11:07 PM

ken_rychlik
03-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks Justin, but I am working on more of a locking joint. Yours looks much like a box joint from what I can tell.

Kenneth

myxpykalix
03-04-2009, 11:50 PM
kenneth,
Are you looking for something like this?

ken_rychlik
03-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Pretty close Jack. Let me see if I can paste the file I am working on. It has the same overall shape without the extra camel humps. If you can open a vectric 2d file here is what I'm after.

7333 (21.5 k) I have open vectors I am trying to figure out now. I can close vectors on one side, but when I go to the other side of the model it has an open vector, but is connected from the other end. This is making me scratch my head as to how to make the vector gods happy.

loriny
03-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi
I am curioua about the possibility of cutting drawer sides out of prefinished plywood with either a dovetail or finger joint and dado bottom. this instead of pocket holes I now use.

waynelocke
03-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Thermwood has a system with their ecabinets system for doing a nested dovetail out of sheet stock. Here is the main router bit http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FSH1065. Here is a discussion of the process http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Dovetail_DrawerBox_Joinery.html. I don't remember what cutter manufacturer makes a bit set to do this but googling should trn up something.

magic
03-06-2009, 08:29 PM
I use a Leigh Dovetail jig and have found it helps make a tighter fit then the Bot although it's a pain to set up and change around.

robredick
03-06-2009, 08:46 PM
RouterCad has a dovetail drawer cad. It is really awesome. They will do an online demo for you.

I do not own it, nor do I have any affiliation with them.