PDA

View Full Version : Beer Jewellery Box Update :-)

khalid
03-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Here is the updates on my BEAR ( sorry for bad spelling on the title ) Jewellery Box.. It has special hinge mechanism..Guess what !!!

myxpykalix
03-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Now that is really neat! I'd like to see your hinge mechanism. One thing i'm confused by is, do you have a "lip" on the underside of the bear top that fits into the bear bottom to keep the lid from just sliding off?
If so, how do you toolpath that shape (I know, an offset of the larger shape) but how do you hold the part afterward, if has been cut out, to turn it over and cut on the underside?

zeykr
03-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Jack,
Easiest thing is to take top to router table with a bearing rabbet bit.

You have to make sure all the radiuses on top are larger than bearing on bit (as you would for an inlay) and that box wall is slightly thinner than the width of cut for a good fit, but once set up it works nice and quick. No flipping lid over and trying to line up.

khalid
03-27-2009, 05:37 AM
Jack no male Female joint... I inserted a screw in one of the Box wall piece in the middle and tight the top cover with it...

and you can see the i have attached a spacer to the Bear bottom ( Bear edges are very thin)... If i make the male female joint, then its a simple toolpath in CNC .. KenZey method can also be adopted....