PDA

View Full Version : How to share files between my two computers?

knight_toolworks
03-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I use fileshare to sync my home computer and shop computer but I don't want my shopbot computer hooked up to the net. I have a wired hop to connec the two computers but what to use to sync the two directory with the shopbot files?

brian
03-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Steve
I use a flash memory stick to move files.I have a 1 gig stick that cost about 30 bucks.Much better than floppies or cdr's.

Brian

paco
03-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I second the flash stick; it is fast yet avoid any network which MAY create problems... USB stick are cheap, you can get a 50-250 MB stick for less than 20.00$usd at Ebay. I recommend to look for one that look indestructible; you'll be connecting it/removing it frequently.

dray
03-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I 3rd the USB flash memory sticks.

Works great.

srwtlc
03-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Steve, are you talking about transferring files from one to the other or synchronizing the files/directories on each?

If you're talking about synchronizing, try this program...SyncBack (http://www.2brightsparks.com)

Mouse over the 'Downloads' tab and click on 'Freeware'. Scroll down to the freeware version of SyncBack.

knight_toolworks
03-18-2007, 04:22 PM
yes I should have said syncing sorry about that.
but I doubt networking just to access hard drives is a problem. thats the one thing I have never seen cause problems on a computer. one of the few things that have not caused issues.
you guys pay to much for memory cards I got a sandisk sd card 2 gig card for 23.00 shipped on ebay. could have got it for less if I wanted to work a bit more.
I have had memory cards cause more problems. sticking with small sizes gig and better yet under and the standard formats is best.

harryball
03-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Steve, I don't know how well network versed you are but you can uninstall IP protocol and run IPX/SPX protocol on the system you wish to isolate from the net. Internally any system you wish to have communication with the "private" system would need IPX/SPX protocol installed. Your PC would still show up in the network computers but would not have access to or from the internet (unless your main system was seriously compromised and used to attack the private system).

One thing, for some reason you can not use (or at least I never got it to work) Windows XP Home, it must be XP Pro.

Robert

brian_h
03-19-2007, 01:17 AM
I was thinking about the same setup. I have a network in the house and a cable running underground to the studio. The main shop computer is connected to the network, but not the two CNC computers. Robert got me excited for a moment, until the Home/Pro part. The main shop computer is XP Pro, but I saved money on the CNC computers and only got XP Home. The flash drive gets to be a pain sometimes, expecially when it is in the house. I want to connect the two CNC computers to the network, but I fear the added internet exposure.

BTW- Thanks for the SyncBack link. I might try that out.

bcammack
03-19-2007, 08:04 AM
www.surpluscomputers.com (http://www.surpluscomputers.com) has Kensington 512mb USB memory sticks for $12.99 and free shipping right now.

steve4460
03-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi Guys
Well I have my bot computer hooked up to my network for about 2 years now , I even cruse the web with it ( not while running the bot ) I also do the design on that computer some times and I have never had a problem . It is wired and not wireless so maybe that is the difference .I store all my files on the house computer and call them up from there with the control software and it works fine . So the moral of the story is , try it before you buy the jumpdrives .
Bot on

harryball
03-19-2007, 09:55 AM
BTW, I also have my bot computer connected with the firewall turned on. I only allow my PC through but it is capable of browsing the net. I copy files over when I need too. The only trouble I've ever encountered is if it polls the network while cutting at 12 ips... it will stall the bot. So I make it a habit to eject the PCMCIA network card (my bot PC is a notebook) before I start cutting and re-insert the card when I'm done. It's second nature now.

Robert

gary_n
03-19-2007, 10:06 AM
www.surpluscomputers.com (http://www.surpluscomputers.com) has Kinsington 3-pack of 512mb USB memory sticks for $22.99 and free shipping right now.

gwilson
03-19-2007, 04:58 PM
I have 4 computers at home on a wireless network. 1 is my file server hard wired, and another is my kids (under 10) computer-wireless. I am using a netgear router and set it up in the router that my file server can not access the internet and the kids could only be on during certain times of the day. This is just another way of doing it.

rg_engravers
03-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Steve Get a router and 2 J45 Cable and your done.
Then all you have to do is disable internet.
Your home computer will be on the internet and the shop computer will be able to share files but no internet.
Total cost is about $35.00 here in texas.

I setup Bill Palumbos that way and it works great.
Then if you wanted just enable internet and surf the web.
Or just use Zonealarm, it is the best I seen so far.

henrik_o
03-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Office supply companies often have usb sticks and other similar items on sale, I got a 2 gig kensington for $20 a couple of weeks back.

thecustomsignshop
03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
There are a number of ways to network your systems. You can use wireless or wired networks. You will need a hub of some type.

We have 11 computers, one server and 2 shopbots. A network is really the only way to go for syncing files. We run a combo wired and wireless networks.

You should have (to keep it simple) windows xp (home or prof will work.) The computers will see each other when you setup the network, which is simple to do.

If you (or anyone)wants me to layout the process for you, call me or send me a message accordingly.

Memory sticks are OK, but once you have a network in place, you will find it is much quicker and easier to use. You can also control the file versions, share network devices and overall is much easier to use. We leave all the files on the server (or in your case, one computer) to help avoid file version conflicts.

We can also access the internet from any system, even shopbot computers without any issues. Makes downloading updates from SB simple.

Best, Jim