PDA

View Full Version : Video: cutting parts for a small cabinet

michael_schwartz
01-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Cutting parts on my PRS Standard 48x96 for a small cabinet.

First time cutting a 4x8 sheet. Used a 1/4" compression bit at 4 ips, 13k rpm. I need to build a vac table, tabs are a PITA with a 1/4" bit kerf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPDGVWYUJ0

dana_swift
01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Great video.. loved the music.

What did you produce the video with?

D

frank134
01-05-2010, 10:11 AM
That was a great video and a nice clean job.
What software did you used and could we see the finish product?

michael_schwartz
01-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Video was edited in iMovie. Soundtrack was added with youtube Audio Swap.

Pictures of the finished cabinet soon. Its nothing special, just a utility cabinet for my shop but I will take some pics when I finish today or tomorrow

ken
01-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Michael,

Nice job! I really enjoyed the video and watching your new machine cutting.

Regards,
Ken

chiloquinruss
01-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I've tried all kinds of tools for cutting those tabs. The one I like the best is the cheap multi tool from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=67256

john_hartman
01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I noticed that you have two extra supports centered on the side rails. Was this something you added or the way they are made now? I have the same size machine, just PRS Alpha. I was thinking that some extra support would be nice. The music was great. Who was it? Check out Wolfsheim; Casting Shadows.

michael_schwartz
01-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Regarding the supports. I am not exactly sure what your referring too but I haven't made any modifications and everything you see is the stock PRS standard configuration.

Sound track was Space and Time - 009 sound system

dlcw
01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Michael,

You should be very proud in getting your first project cut out. It is a big step forward. You must have been a video editor in your past life? You did a great job with the editing, text and music.

Great job and welcome to the incredible world of CNC. Your woodworking process has just changed, permanently. Now you'll try and figure out how do do everything on the CNC and if your like others, you'll lie awake at night figuring out how to do things instead of sleeping.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

frank134
01-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Sorry michael. I meant the sftware for cutting the cabinet. did you use cabinet parts, e cab? I been looking into cabinet software.

thank you
frank

michael_schwartz
01-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Frank,

I drew the cabinet in PartWorks which is perfectly doable but seems tedious for something systematic. I might get Cabinet Parts Pro, and I am waiting for the E Cabinets disc to arrive so I can try that out before I decide if I want the link.

Don,

Thanks. Not quite my first project since I have been cutting some smaller stuff since I got the machine running but that was my first time cutting larger than 4x4.

I don't think there any words to describe how much sleep I have lost over the shopbot.

frank134
01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Michael,
Yes tell me about. Wake up from a sound sleep. I got it, I know what I did wrong. Then to have to lay in bed till morning to try it. Or just laying there trying to figture out why you drill a two hole thur your board that you didn't want.
I have cabinet parts pro, but of yet having a hard time getting it to do what I want. so far I made a lot of wood for my stove.