PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck!

henrik_o
02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Hello all, this one isn't strictly shopbot-related -- but it could become so!

Me and one of my employees is in the run in a design contest, the contest object being to design a park bench prototype for a river area that flows through the city I live in.

It's the first time I'm in a contest like that, so I can't help posting this, knowing that there's probably relatively little chance we'll get to make these. But if we do, the 'bot will sure come in handy.

Anyway, here's my entry, which is admittedly on the feminine side of things, but since the winner will be chosen by public vote and we all know it's mostly the ladies who bother to vote about such things, well ...

And the entry by my employee, which I personally think is great and has a decent shot at actually winning;

The deal is that a jury will select 10 finalists, who each are given a couple grand for the effort. Then it goes to public vote, people can vote by SMS/texting or balloting at the local galleries, museums, city hall etc.

Yikes!

wberminio
02-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Henrik

The sweep mimicks the flow of a river.
Good work,Hope you get it!

Erminio

henrik_o
02-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes, I think Peter's proposal is great; it's called "Å"; one of the few single letter substantive words in Swedish, which means "stream" or "small river".

I don't so much look forward to building that, should he win, though: the steamed wood will be interesting, but the concrete fundaments, ouch.

Sure would help against thievery, though.

gerryv
02-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I like the one where the little fellow jumped off the bench to chase the butterfly in such a hurry that they left their shadows behind.

njandpa
02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
I really like the top bench. The arm rests would have to be made xtra heavy duty to withstand long time public use.
I like the second bench design too. The only problem would be that the skate board kids would really, really love that bench. They would grind down that baby all night long.

scottcox
02-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Henrik,

Last year I built a bench with legs/fundaments just like that but they were made from 4 inch thick slabs of cypress. It's out in the weather and has held up very well so far. In my opinion, it would be a much better choice than concrete.

Good luck!

myxpykalix
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
henrik,
Why would you need to steambend your pieces? Couldn't you have a joint somewhere in the center and just nest your parts and cut them? I guess it depends on what you intend to make them out of? Both look very nice...

gene
02-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I think that you stand a very good chance at winning. Keep Positive thoughts. and tell us how to vote and we all will vote for you.