PDA

View Full Version : File conversion question

myxpykalix
03-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Using the file conversion utility in the control software I took a sbp file i had created and wanted to turn it into a dxf. As you see it does it ok but it includes the carriage toolpaths which show up in the cutting toolpaths. Is there a way to surpress that so all you see is the design so you can retoolpath? Going in and just clipping the vectors on some of these bigger files isn't an option due to the many toolpaths and confusing lines you see.

paco
03-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Nope! prove me wrong but I don't see that too many rapids... it might be easier to edit the DXF in 3D CAD so that those are more obvious.

You might to let SB know about this issue so they ""might"" come up with a solution to remove the rapids (jogs), plunges and retracts.

Brady Watson
03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
The resulting DXF will also be offset 1/2 the diameter of the bit that was originally used. In most cases, it just isn't worth reverse engineering an SBP into a DXF.

-B

myxpykalix
03-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Well I had some files I created and had a hard drive crash and lost them. I found only the shopbot cut files on my flashdrive and wanted to try to recreate them. Is there any other type of application that will take a shopbot file and change it to a dxf without the jog lines?

bruce_clark
03-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Jack,

Actually, the DXF is put on TWO layers. Cutting and RAPID. Select ALL of the geometry on the RAPID layer and DELETE. You will only be left with the cutting geometry.

Bruce

myxpykalix
03-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Ok...but now the dumb question...What application would i use to load the dxf in to be able to choose the different layers?

bruce_clark
03-14-2007, 02:51 AM
Jack,

Well...I am going to get flamed for saying this...how about Vector?

Really any CAD that supports layers (just about all of them--I guess, other than Parts Wizard).

Hope that helps,

Bruce

bcammack
03-14-2007, 08:40 AM
We use CMS IntelliCAD and it's an excellent value for a full-featured CAD. Very compatible with AutoCAD. The "Professional Edition" does far more than we actually require.

http://www.intellicadms.com/