PDA

View Full Version : OSHA

frank_hav
06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
I just got my bot and love it. However I was just told that we will be getting our routine OSHA visit shortly. Has anybody come up with an OSHA approved safety something. I need to keep people away from the machine while it is cutting/moving.

elcruisr
06-12-2006, 03:27 PM
You might want to check with Shopbot. I remember talking about OSHA and CNC safety requirements at one time with Ted. The really fast machines are required to have saftey pressure sensitive mats and/or "electric eyes" that will put the machine in stop mode if you get close. I believe we are slow enough not to have major issues. I'd start with the usual tape on the floor and signage perhaps. I've also seen gated safety chains on some of the older big machines as well as floor tape and signs.

A call to OSHA and playing dumb and looking for requirements would also probably get you tons of info. Sometimes a "preemptive strike" with them can help.

Eric

tomj
06-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Don't forget about ears and eyes...have your ear plugs in and goggles on! As well as signs stating that they are "needed beond this point" etc. Also, get any extention cords off of the floor if you have any.
One thing to keep in mind is that they aren't going to come in and not find anything wrong...no matter what kind of hoops you jump through! So, don't let it get the best of you when they do!

Good luck with the inspection!

Tom

frank_hav
06-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the imput. I'm used to dealing with OSHA in the Automotive Tooling Industry, but I was hoping they were more forgiving to the other trades. I was thinking of they same devices as you both were, but was hoping there was a simple way out.

Thanks again
Frank

jim_hansen
06-18-2006, 09:19 AM
I put my bot in its own room with used overhead door on one end to load sheets of plywood, a door on the other end into the control room where the computer and control box are located and used glass door panels(tempered glass)as windows on the sides and control room end. This makes it safe and I don't need ear plugs when the machine is running. Jim

mdebruce
06-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I deal with OSHA (TOSHA) often and almost always have found them to be willing to work with you. You can even request an evaluation of your shop in which NO fines will be issued and will give you a year to comply with their recommendations (excepting life treating problems, which you will want to immediately correct).
Specifically I work in Job Shops with powerful machines everywhere, many like lathes and boring machines are totally unguarded (really impossible to guard and still use). The machines are sometimes set-up with handrails to keep someone from accidentally getting into them but that may also only consist of placement. OSHA requires us to keep untrained personnel away from these machines. This is accomplished by not allowing anyone (customers. sales people...) in shop without supervision. They are definitely more forgiving than say at a Saturn plant.
The only time I ever encountered a problem was with a green TOSHA inspector who had a trained counterpart overseeing him. The new inspector got a little overzealous but calm words from both myself and his trainer saw us through the day with few problems.

One word of caution, be slow to agree with anything and keep your replys to a minumum during actual inspections.

We require safety training of all employees and PPE on everyone.

Hope this helps.