PDA

View Full Version : 6-8 weeks from Shopbot bliss...

harve
10-08-2007, 11:34 PM
I placed the order and am 6-8 weeks from receiving my new Shopbot. Thanks to all who helped me in making this decision.

Now the real work begins. I need to be ready for the arrival of my new baby, this is where you come in. I have downloaded the trial software from Vectric and instantly realize I am in pretty deep. Not having any CAD / CAM and very limited graphical software experience, I am really behind the learning curve. I am talking to a few in this forum as to advice, but I figure there can never be enough good information from different perspectives so if any one has ANY advice as to how I should spend my next 6 - 8 weeks of waiting please feel free to post it or email me. Think of me as knowing nothing about this machine and you will not be far from the truth so take nothing for granted when deciding whether or not I already know what you care to post. I appreciate any input you can offer.

pfulghum
10-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Download the manual an read it...
Then read it again.

Download the "control software" from Shopbottools.com and run in "preview" mode.

Run the Vectric demos and cut the resultant files with the control software in preview mode.

We can take the next step in a couple of weeks.

Another idea is find someone close to you and go watch and learn someday. Shopbot has a list. I'm sure they would be glad to help. Where are you?

-- pat

harve
10-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks Pat.

I have read the manual, but a second read is probably not a bad idea at all.

I have all the software and tutorials downloaded and another poster was very generous in sending me a few files to practice with.

I did an onsite visit and learned alot. Seeing it in action is by far the best way to gain insight.

I am scheduled to attend the Shopbot training in Durham, but cannot get into a class until December. Not too bad since I won't have the machine until mid Nov. - early Dec., but it would be nice to have the training while learning the software before I get it.

I am in Lexington Ky.

scottcox
10-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Mike,

I found that it would have helped to design my first projects around the material that I already had on hand. Be sure to measure the exact thickness of your workpiece, because it's never the same (for store bought ply, mdf, etc.). Also consider your hold-down methods for the types of materials you will use. There are some very cool hold-down jigs described here in the forum.

I also use Onsrud Tech Support for selecting bits, feeds and speeds for different material. I've successfully cut aluminum, acrylics, pvc, laminates, mdf, plywood and a dozen species of hard and soft woods using their reccomendations as starting points, then tuning them for the 'bot. Be aware the "depth of cut" that they recommend will be based on their experience with "big iron" machines, so start cutting shallow and increase depth of cut as you learn your limits.

And I'll bet I'm not the only one that did this...... before my 'bot arrived, I had a dream that I was dismantling my entire house and v-carving decorations on each individual piece. But alas, when I actually started that project, my wife disapproved. Go figure.

harryball
10-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, my wife vetoed carving bats in all our cabinet doors... I thought it was a great idea!

You'll enjoy it. Like I tell everyone, your imagination will be the limiting factor.

Robert

harve
10-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Excellent advice Scott. I am debating the hold down system. I will search for some ideas to see what I can incorporate into my situation. I received an excellent tutorial on vacuum systems during my site visit last week. Does anyone have a system that is a "one size fits all" soution? or is it that there are times one method gets priority over another? I would like to avoid the tutorial where a board breaks loose and goes flying across my shop.

The bits seem confusing to me. There are so many to choose from. I ordered the starter bit set. Are there any others that are a "must have" not included in that set? I am sure it mostly relates to what you are cutting. I have alot of scrap oak, cedar, pine and poplar that I will be using to practice with.

Robert, I cannot believe your wife allows bats in the belfry but not in the kitchen. Probably best to keep her happy though.

kfitz
10-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Mike,

I live in Lexington. I work downtown and would be glad to meet with you. Are you at the downtown Y?

Regards,
Kevin Fitz-Gerald

gene
10-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Hey Mike .
The first thing you MUST GO BUY now is a big car washing sponge and a roll of duct tape. Put the sponge on your forehead and tape it securely so when you beat your head against the wall it wont hurt.... Just joking... I too bought a bot with no experience in cad or cam and was almost computer illiterate. I caught on and i have no doubt you will to.. Remember when you want to know something that there are NO stupid questions... ask what you want , alot of time the answers are in the forum, as far as bits remember to purchase plunge bits, sometime a cheaper bit will not have carbide all the way across the tip and when the bot tries to plunge it the bot can and sometimes loose position or you will have to reset the drivers on the bot. The classes at shopbot they will get you headed in the right direction but will not teach you everything , the rest will come as you learn to operate the bot.. Its like riding a bike the first time (without training wheels) so hold on and GO FOR IT . keep in mind they make new router bits every day and the more you buy the better the economy is getting. I always buy them in pairs.
Dont ask ......

harve
10-10-2007, 12:52 AM
I will certainly keep the car sponge idea in mind.

Added to my apprehension of owning this system and not knowing how to use the software, I am quickly becoming anxious about the arrival of my new toy. I am going to have to come up with a hobby to pass my time. There are only so many hours I can spend in this forum, reading the Shopbot manuals and playing with the software. Maybe I could call Dianne, instead of calling and asking every question imaginable, I could get daily updates as to the progress of my order?

myxpykalix
10-10-2007, 04:38 AM
If you want to get an education about bits i suggest you call the guys at:
http://www.centuriontools.com/
They have good prices and are willing to give you good advice and information about the tools you need for the various operations you will be doing on your bot.

kfitz
10-10-2007, 05:08 AM
Gene,

"The first thing you MUST GO BUY now is a big car washing sponge and a roll of duct tape. Put the sponge on your forehead and tape it securely so when you beat your head against the wall it wont hurt...."

I can't believe that you missed the MOST important reason for the roll of duct tape! That is, to wrap his head with it so it doesn't explode from all the stuff he is going to learn in the coming months!

harve
10-10-2007, 08:20 AM
My hat size has already increased two sizes mostly due tio reading 1,000's of posts and the 89 page manual. I fear what will happen when I finally get the machine.

Thanks for the link on the bits Jack, I will go scour their site and see what I can learn. God help them if they have a Contact Us page...

ryan_slaback
10-10-2007, 09:57 AM
You may be 6-8 weeks away from the bot, but you are probably 8-10 weeks away from bliss. The first couple weeks hurt a bit but it gets better.

harve
10-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Really Ryan, you give me way too much credit. Based on my learning curve, lets say 16 - 20 weeks until bliss hits. I have a feeling it is going to be a love / hate relationship in the beginning.

gene
10-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey Kevin
I didnt want to scare him telling him his head will explode, That might be too much for him to handle..
Ryan,
6 to 8 weeks before bliss,,,, HA<HA<HA....
I have had mine for a few years and i still get blissed off every time i screw something up..
The last screw up was only 14 minutes ago..

harryball
10-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I was totally blissed today too... seems it is a good idea to actually TURN ON the vac holddown BEFORE you start cutting... who knew?

Robert

dubliner
10-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Mike, other than the fact that I have a big blue thing in my workshop ~ I am you to a T. Just before it arrived I thought Holy C#%@ why did I buy this thing, I realised all my waiting was over & now I had to do something with it, but that immediatley went & I had a huge new machine to figure out. I am, due to various reasons still putting it together so I'm not far ahead of you. If you have any questions on putting it together just ask me I probably did it wrong & figured out the right way later so maybe I could save you the trouble. As for software, my problem was diluting my focus, with a few different packages so stay with VCP & learn that as well as you can, then expand. There are many posts about the new machine & there are many helpful people to assist you on here so be prepared for a cool journey & its a neat feeling when you start to figure out things. Other people seem to be speaking a new language but you'll be able to speak it soon too. I'm happy for you because I was in your shoes not so very long ago. write if I can answer anything for you - Neville