PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Learn

kevinkev4
02-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Is there a good book or tutorial out there for a beginner or semi beginner? Or demo software for learning to use the Shopbot router?
I have done 2D cad and some 2D CNC routing on a Gerber Profile, but, some of the pics I have seen on this forum look very complicated. The photos and carvings look awesome., but, it looks like the programming would be a nightmare to do.
I’m impressed with the quality of the products Shopbot produces.
I realize I can’t just buy a machine plug it in and produce these masterpieces with a few keystrokes and some clicks of a mouse.
I’m hopping the learning is not just hands on, although this forum looks like it would be a GREAT help. I was looking for something to look into while I’m on the fence about a machine purchase.
I did come across this book. Easy CNC A Beginner's Guide to CNC by David Benson. Is anyone familiar with this? Is it worth $35.00 or is there something better? Any input would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Kevin

zeykr
02-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Go to vectric site (www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com)) and download their demo software so you can play with it. The preview is very good so you can see what you would have cut with out wasting material.

kevinkev4
02-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Ken,

Thanks!! This is great. The video tutorials help a lot to get started. I downloaded all 3 trial programs and tutorials.
Got to go back and play with it some more. It’s fun until it becomes work.
Thanks again.

Kevin

gerard
02-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Kevin, although my machine is on order, I still do not have one, so my hands on experience is nil, my advice is to do the same as I have done, read, read read everything you can, both in this forum, as well as other cnc related forums, post in the looking for a shopbot thread, and see if you cant find anyone local who has a machine already, I was lucky to find someone within 20 miles of me who invited me to his house, he spent a couple hours with me, showing me his shop, computer setup, and of course the shopbot, in that short amount of time, I came away with more of an understanding of the machine than I had developed from all other ways.
whenever people post pictures of whatever they may have made, I am always curious to know, how long did it take to design, what software did you use, and how long did it take on the machine.

knight_toolworks
02-23-2008, 02:13 PM
also buy material to practice on and bits that are ok to break. but it is good to cut material you plan on cutting. say practice a bit on mdf but I cut a lot of tropical woods and going from mdf to them was a whole new learning curve.
remember a big part of the cnc router is learning cut speeds and depth bit selection machine setup and a really critical and endless part is holding the material in place.

kevinkev4
02-25-2008, 09:29 AM
thanks guys,
your input is helpful. i did find a shopbot owner within 1/2 hr. from me and he said he would be glad to let me come over to see it in action.
and i have been learning with the vcarve (vertic) programs, ken posted link above. i get on it and several hours go by in what seems like minutes.
i know there is a lot more to learn but i will keep up with the forums. everyone's knowledge and experience is priceless.

thanks, kevin