PDA

View Full Version : Offset support rails

joewino
07-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Today I began assembly of my new PRTalpha (4' x 8') and noticed that the support rails for the bed of my table has the holes offset to one side rather than centered in the beams. In other words, if I line up my 4' x 8' bed panel with the holes it will be one inch closer to one side rail than the other.

Is there a reason for this?

Towersonline
07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I have assembled 3 Shopbot tables and have found the holes spot on. You could check the dimensions of your part against the drawing. I don't know if this helps, but when assembling the table leave everything VERY loose. Then start aligning and tightening. I start with the legs then the end braces and end with the bed angles.

joewino
07-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, I found the answer to my question by calling ShopBot....duh!

The four support rails have predrilled holes in which to attach a sheet of 4' x 8' material. Two holes on one end of the support rail are one inch closer to the end of the rail than on the other end, making the holes not line up with the holes in the upper side support.

After talking with ShopBot this morning I found out that the holes were drilled wrong and that I simply had to drill some more holes in the right position. Problem solved.

During assembly yesterday I kept trying to figure out why the holes would be offset the way they were. The assembly instructions even showed them being offset, but no explanation as to which way they needed to go, or why.

I feel better now. Everyone makes mistakes, so it's just not me alone in the world that goofs up.