PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Danny Ray

myxpykalix
01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Danny,
You seem to be one of the more experienced people when it comes to painting/staining MDF. You gave me a "recipe" once which i used to stain
MDF for my Marine Litho panel a long time ago that was more of a darker tone.

I would like to paint/stain(?) another lid and wanted to color it in the range of the sample picture I posted in this thread of James M picture. I know its wood but I posted for color, shading example. Do you have any "recipes" for attaining this that you could share? Thanks

dray
01-15-2009, 12:19 PM
post a picture of the effect you are trying to achieve.

myxpykalix
01-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Sorry Danny I forgot to post the picture of the sample. This is James McGrews Alder wood piece, but I like the tone and color and wanted to replicate it to contrast to the color of the box.
The problem i've had with my experiments is any/all trials turn into a flat muddy looking finish and look terrible since it is mdf and it just seems to soak it up and look nasty.

What is your opinion as that lighter color used on the lid as a contrast to the darker color on the box itself? Thanks for the help..

myxpykalix
01-16-2009, 10:44 AM
tests so far have been miserable. I need to get the right "blend" of undercoat color and finish stain color.
I guess what i'm aiming more for is a tan color?

cabnet636
01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
light light tan on the under coat,, then we use a nanochem stain from spray one systems in columbia sc, (george murry at 803 356 0375, he will know me i have purchased from him for 12 years ) the color is harvest, get a gallon of a clear base as well and dilute it until you get the desired color, we shoot a light coat, dry, laquer, sand then airbrush tone with the stain for even match before final laquer, sorry im forgot the photos of the mdf carved doors i'll try and remember tommorrow

dray
01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi Jack. Sorry for the late reply.

I would use the same method I always use.

Its basically a matter of matching the lightest color on jeffs cabinet , paint, sand, paint, sand, seal, sand, seal, sand, stain (with a stain 2 shades darker than the base color)

myxpykalix
01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Great Danny thanks for the in depth detail. LOL

I think i will start out with your recipe you gave me before using a light yellow primer and then I used a dark stain, applied it then shortly rubbed it to give it a woodgrain type look.
I want a flat light brown coffee color so I will apply a lighter brown color but to make a flat more even color would you suggest that I use shellac between the primer and first coat because the mdf sucks this stuff in and makes it all muddy looking? thanks

erik_f
01-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Jack I read somewhere that use of wood glue watered down makes a great sealer for MDF. I belive I saw it on a DIY audio site. These guys were using the watered down wood glue to seal the butt side of the mdf so when they painted the speaker boxes you wouldn't be able to see the seam.

erik_f
01-21-2009, 07:15 AM
http://www.ehow.com/how_4698442_seal-mdf-edges-painting.html
Here is one example I googled

wberminio
01-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I've used this method for a while. It's called
"Glue Sizing".It's easy,fast,cheap and works!

Erminio

myxpykalix
01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I'll check out the link. What i have found is that the part without the paper face that you have cut into absorbs much more paint/stain than the paper facing and gives you a lousey looking finish and the trick is to get the surfaces to absorb equally. I suppose it might have been a good idea to take off .005 off the face before beginning to cut the carving. I'll let you know how it goes.