PDA

View Full Version : Ascension controller and other questions.

david_gardner
01-23-2009, 02:59 PM
It looks like custom-cnc has gone out of business. I'm considering buying a bot that has been converted to an ascension controller but have some concerns. What is the likelyhood of the controller failing and if so what are my replacement options?

I have searched the forum and read good things about this unit.

Any thoughts?

srwtlc
01-23-2009, 04:39 PM
David,

I had an Acension box on my old PRT for six months (sold the machine and kept the A-box for a future project) and it's a nice unit. My only problem was with getting Mach3's (the controller software) acceleration/deceleration settings set so that I didn't get corner rounding while in constant velocity mode. If set to tight, it would cause the machine to shake from the more aggressive cornering.

That aside, it was a nice setup. If you do get it, let me know and I can provide some help with some custom zeroing files that I wrote.

If something fails, you should be able to get any components needed to repair it. Replacement Gecko drivers should be no problem.

You can always get a Shopbot 4G box for it too.

richards
01-23-2009, 05:09 PM
I have not yet seen inside an Ascension box, but it looks like it was actually build by Bob Campbell (campbelldesigns.net). Take a look at his Mach3 Enclosure.

Every control box based on Mach 3 that I've seen, (including the one that sits about two feet from this computer on my test bench) uses interchangeable parts. Most of them have a power supply (toroidal is popular), a break-out-board (PMDX or Campbell are popular), some stepper drivers (Gecko is the standard), Mach 3 software and stepper motors. Switches, contactors, sensors, etc. are all parts available from any well stocked electrical supply house.

In other words, if it breaks, you can easily replace a component with the exact part or something that functions the same.

The one BIG MISSING PIECE is Shopbot software. There is a BIG difference between Shopbot software and G-code.

If you rely 100% on a tool-pathing program to generate your code, then, as long as the program can generate software for both Shopbot and Mach 3, you'll be okay. On the other hand, if you modify your code like I do, you may struggle getting G-code to do all the things that you'd like it to do.

For that very reason, if I had to build a custom control box, I would buy Shopbot's V201A controller (or a newer model). I would wire up an interface card to connect the V201A to everything, and I would use Shopbot code in my cut files. Doing that is not difficult. Last year when Ted sent me a V201A to look at, I had the board spinning stepper motors in about fifteen minutes (after I downloaded the correct version of software from the Shopbot web site). Using that board, I built a half-dozen different "toys" to test some concepts. That board allowed me to not only test CNC router concepts, but it also allowed me to test several process control concepts.

david_gardner
01-23-2009, 07:51 PM
In my case I know neither shobbot code or gcode. I'm going to have to learn whichever one I go with and thats not really a problem. The toolpath software options I am looking at will generate either.

cnc_works
01-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I bought one of the first Ascension boxes, and with the exception of one failure of a driver, it has been very reliable.

Now, though I'm very much an amateur in customization, I've seen and tweaked visual basic scripts that Mach3 can run inside the G-code, so I suspect that the capability of making the G-code do just about anything you wish is pretty strong.

I started out with G-code on my smaller CNC, then went to the Shopbot code for a few years when I bought my SB, then back to G-code when I bought the Ascension box. I never had any trouble doing whatever I wanted with either system of them.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Ascension box. While I was sad to see Custom CNC go away, I have received excellent support from knowledgeable and generous members of this forum.

Donn

dana_swift
01-24-2009, 12:29 PM
David- if you are new to CNC, the Shopbot code is easier to learn and MUCH easier to read. Although with experience either of them will work just as well for you.

Donn's description seems quite accurate, either system is capable of doing anything. And you will adapt to what you have. However there is one other factor to consider- the folks on this forum are much more likely to be able to help with Shopbot code. There are plenty of G coders on here, but i suspect its not quite as many by a handy margin.

David either way, you will find the bot to be a dynamite tool!

D

joe
01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
One outstanding benefit to the Ascension is the controll system "Mach 3". I'm not much of a tech guy but found it fast and easy to learn. There's a website for Mach for a trial run.

It allows the user on screen viewing and controll over the router all the way to the end of the job. From the screen you view what's been cut and whats coming up. Toggle feed speeds, spindle RPM's, and change out bits to continue on where you left off. Just a very few of the benefits.

conceptmachine
02-21-2009, 05:30 PM
I've been running the Ascension setup for over 2 years and not one single issue with the Ascension or Mach 3 software.....wish i could say the same when i used the SB software.