PDA

View Full Version : My first shot at a real sign....

john_l
02-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi to all,

I have a collection of old pinball machines and for my first real sign project I decided to make an arcade sign for a bare wall near my machines. I just setup and ran the following files I created on my prt standard (after converting to shopbot files).

I cut the design out of 3/4" MDF with a 1/4" up cut spiral. The x and y speeds, plunge speed, v-carve depths, all seemed "about" right to me. I felt it was finished pretty quick.. it took about 1.25 hours even with tool changes to run it all and make a really great looking sign.

My observations... The finished piece required a little hand sanding along all of the edges of the outer profile and the pocket edges. I assume this may be from using an UPspiral instead of a DOWNspiral bit?

I also noticed that the side walls of the Vcarved areas needed a little hand sanding work. Maybe the stepover needed adjustment? I dunno.

I noticed the Z plunge movements on the vcarving seemed a little too brave (it plunged deep right away)... my spindle didnt hesitate keeping up, I just didnt expect it to take so much at first like that. Are there any problems with this?

I am extremely impressed, and pleased with the results of this. I plan to make several signs out of MDF like this and I'd just like to know if anyone advises changing the tool specs from what I have used here (vcarve defaults)?

john_l
02-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Sorry, I thought I could post the files. They are way over the allowed limit for posting.

terryd
02-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi John,

Looks great if it matches the VCarve preview, just keep doing it. Perfection is only sought by those that have time to burn and then again perfection is in the eye of the beholder. If everything felt right then it was right. Over work the machine, bit or spindle and they will let you know.

phil_o
02-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Very nice, how big is it?

john_l
02-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Very good.. thanks X 2. The sign is 15.5 X 37.5.