PDA

View Full Version : Quieting the PC Router . . .

CajunCNC
02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Just curious if anyone has figured a way to quiet the PC Router used on a ShopBot. I am thinking that a lot of the noise is created by the fan in the top / rear of the unit. My thought was to remove the blades of the fan and force a continuous stream of air thru the router. Has anyone done anything like this, & if they did, was the noise level reduced some what. I realize that the noise created by the bit cutting will still be there . . .

Thanks in advance,
Steve

david_gardner
02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Remove and replace with a spindle.

CajunCNC
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
This is an excellent idea if you have an extra $3,000.00 hanging around . . that would be a wonderful idea . . .

Steve

david_gardner
02-12-2009, 08:31 PM
LOL I know. It was a tongue in cheek response.

myxpykalix
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I too have thought about trying to dampen the noise and the best solution i have thought of is to build a "Cone of Silence" like Maxwell Smart.

Seriously though for those of us who have PRT style gantrys maybe take a cardboard box and line it with that eggcarton shaped foam like they use in recording studios and place it overtop the router leaving room for airflow but having something to absorb some of the soundwaves?

bill_lumley
02-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Steven the spindle is not the holey grail I once thought it was for noise . Yes they are very quiet when not cutting but once the cutting starts you forget about the sound of the spindle . In fact the dust collector is often the noisiest part of running my machine . The Milwaukee is much quieter than the PC and easily adapted with some shim material to the PC mount and a lot cheaper than the spindle .

Gary Campbell
02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Guys...
Rumor is that PC may be developing a new, possibly higher HP router, with a quieter fan. Supposedly for CNC use. Something that would fit in between the current PC routers and the lower HP spindles. Haven't heard any dates or prices.
Gary

gundog
02-13-2009, 12:01 AM
I have the Milwaukee 3.5 HP router on my PRS. I do not like the collet and it is not that quite. I Have the big PC in a manual router table and I like it better than my Milwaukee. I am going to upgrade soon to a spindle.
Mike

gene
02-13-2009, 12:35 AM
EARPLUGS!!!

rb99
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
When I switched from PC to a 5hp Columbo spindle I found the warm up routine inconvenient compared to the direct on/cut with the pc.

Especially when I was cutting wood and the run out from the router did not matter.

RB

blackhawk
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
The PC router is a brush motor. You have carbon brushes rubbing against a commutator at 21,000 rpm = noise. This rubbing is where the majority of noise comes from, just the nature of the beast. Enclosures that dampen the noise have to be well thought out to avoid any heat build up. Heat is the number one enemy for motors.

rcnewcomb
02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Never run it above 10,000 RPM <wry smile>

sailfl
02-13-2009, 10:06 PM
More tolerance for the colletts and Nut. Check out www.percisebits.com (http://www.percisebits.com)

angus_hines
02-14-2009, 11:09 AM
I bought the newer Colletts and Nuts mentioned above, and it didn't get any quieter, but the the frequency changed enough to make it a tolerable noise to listen to.

cabnet636
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
steven, i have two spindles yo can barely here the hsd and the columbo is a little louder when just sitting and running, i also have vacuums on both tables, dust collection on both and nothing will change the sound of bits going through wood!! bottom line get a good pair of ear protection!!

or just 3d carve in foam with no vacuum or dust collection

jim

CajunCNC
02-14-2009, 05:17 PM
I work in PetroChem, I can deal with the noise.Wear earplugs on and off throughout the day . . Just don't know if my neighbors will have fits . . .

Steve

sailfl
02-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Angus,

Thanks for responding because I am waiting for the Milwaukee Colletts and Nuts not for the quiet but for the tolerance. They told me it would make a big difference in the noise level if it doesn't make that much difference, I will stop mentioning that.

Why did you buy them?

angus_hines
02-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Nils,

I bought mine on the same promise of quieter. Well I can't say that they are quieter but cutting through 3/4" Ply the noise is nicer to listen to. It takes it from the high pitch scream to a nice deep hum much easier on the ears.

Also having the 12"Z, and not having decided how to make the table adjustable (in progress) yet. I'm cutting everything on the full extension of the Z and I instantly noticed a better cut quality.

Hope that helps Nils, and keep mentioning them, Ron Wood is a great guy and the Collets and Nuts do make a difference.

And remember quieter is a relative term.

cabnet636
02-15-2009, 10:20 AM
i would imagine the noise of a collet would be made by the friction of the edges at the collet.

any one tried taping it, seems extreme!

jim

bcondon
02-15-2009, 09:04 PM
In my small shop, I have the dust collection in an insulated closet with single 5/8 sheet tock inside and double outside... Partly noise, partly concern if there was ever a fire...
The noise in the shop is very tolerable and "almost" do not need ear protection

My spindle is just plain quiet. It was a good decision. The spindle alone running (warmup) does not require ear protection but once I start cutting, the high frequency whine does need ear protection.

I bought the yellow ear protection with an FM radio in it. I have a TV in the shop (ball games etc) which I connected a battery powered FM transitter and can get the music/game through the headset... It also makes sanding more tolerable.. almost pleasant if the game is good!

I have not tried the setup since installing the spindle so it will be interesting if there is interferance but made working in the shop very pleasent.

The noise level with my current setup in a well insulated and plaster room off the back of the garage is low. I can work in there at 6:00 in the morning on a Saturday without issue from the neighbors. I can barely hear the dust collector from outside if the steel insulated doors are closed.