PDA

View Full Version : Static Guard

Brady Watson
04-21-2006, 05:25 PM
I was machining some thick insulation foam last week (2# density) and had a problem with the foam statically attracting itself to the gear rack on the Y axis. I didn't know how bad it was until the Y axis started stalling from the foam being mashed into the gear/rack. I don't use dust collection for 3D for a number of reasons...(so don't be a know it all and suggest it)

I have been wanting to try Static Guard for a while now to see if it would work on the Bot...and it DOES! I sprayed most of the rails/gantry parts with it and the foam doesn't seem to stick to it anymore. You will get some foam sticking...but not nearly as much when it is untreated.

Just a little nugget for those who cut insulation foam...and are getting build-up. They only had the 'fresh' scent...so the shop smells all pretty now...LOL!

A word to the wise is sufficient...don't be a dork and spray the stuff into running motors or other sources of ignition...

-B

David Arde (Unregistered Guest)
04-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a catalogue from a company that makes air blowers. (gun type air compressor) that have ionization to eliminate static. I have not tried them but they look like they would work good if you do a lot of foam. www.exair.com/static_eliminator/siak_applications.htm (http://www.exair.com/static_eliminator/siak_applications.htm)
They also make vortex cooling tubes so you can cool your bits without water just compressed air.

oddcoach
04-23-2006, 08:39 AM
I have used exair stuff and it works. just be forewarned you will need a fairly large compressor, they are air hogs.