PDA

View Full Version : Show me your computer station!

bpfohler
12-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Things have gotten very busy and I just had a new computer built that is capable of handling dual monitors. I also work on my laptop (internet access
) when the Bot is running.
I'm thinking about including some bit storage at the work station so everything will be close at hand.
Anyone interested in sharing pictures?

srwtlc
12-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Robert,

Here's a couple that I made several years ago for PRT machines (housed the control box also). One that I'm still using today and one for a High School. I haven't had a problem with dust in the CPU since I made the cabinet. I've since changed the air filter setup on mine to a dual layer 20" x 20" pleated filter. The upper part is still dusty though because I generally just leave it open. I now have a dust shield cover for my flat panel monitor from here (http://www.computerdust.com).

I still have the plans with all files if anyone would like them.

jamesgilliam
12-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Scott, Very nice. Thanks for sharing this with us. James

brian
12-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Scott good design.
If you could send me the file it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks Brian

srwtlc
12-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks. I uploaded the zip file here (http://www.mediafire.com/?2b5wzn1gzld). If you have problems, let me know.

There's a readme file included. The .sbp files are quite old and were run on a PRT machine and have some speed/ramp settings that may not work for a newer machine. I would recommend that you generate new files from the included .dxf's or edit them accordingly.

beacon14
12-16-2007, 06:21 PM
I wasn't planning on showing this until I get the wiring cleaned up and a few other tweaks but since you asked....

I wanted everything (especally the wires) off the floor and to be able to have the computer right next to the 'bot or up against the wall. It has about 6 feet of travel on an 8' gantry. I can push the carriage with one hand while walking towards it to move it out of the way. I relocated the green Start button and dust collection and vacuum controls to the carriage as well. This was the first project I cut out with the new motor upgrades.

paco
12-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Very clever David!

I guess dust is not a problem in your shop...

Would you mind a picture of a broader view of this with the machine? I'd like to view the whole situation.

Thanks for sharing!

3ps
12-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Does anyone have a laptop set up? Possibly on a moveable arm? I am interested in doing something like that for my buddy system. Scott and David, these look great!!
Doug

drodda
12-16-2007, 11:05 PM
David,

That looks great. How did you extend your USB port far enough to get this to work? What are you doing to retract the wires to allow for movement? I am wanting to do something lie this but have yet to get around to it. Now that you have raised the bar I guess I need to get things going. I especially like the relocated green button.

fleinbach
12-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Dave,

Here is a link to purchase USB cables up to 80' using a repeater to boost signal quality. I personally have not tried this but they also carry 15' USB cables that do not require a repeater. I run 4 computers on my desktop and since they are all remotely located I use 15' USB cables for all my peripherals.

myxpykalix
12-19-2007, 03:27 AM
David,
That's just plain "Slick"!

myxpykalix
12-19-2007, 11:04 PM
although mine is not created on the bot I thought i'd share it anyway to give you an idea of how you can "recycle" things. I bought this at a university surplus auction for $10.00. It came from the hospital. It rolls and has great drawer space.

beacon14
01-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Sorry for the delay, this came up just before vacation and I finally got some more pics of the "big picture"

The first pic is the storage/cleanup position, the second is fully extended; in use the carriage is usually somewhere between the two.

I still need to relocate the control box and clean up the wire runs, but that's no longer near the top of my list right now. I was planning to use e-chain or some shop-made equivalent horizontally, hence the dropped side of the gantry, but while hooking up the wires for testing I realized they would just loop down behind the computer in the stowed position. Eventually I'll separate them with low voltage on one side and AC lines on the other.

I wouldn't say that dust is not a problem but the dust and I have reached a mutual level of respect for one another. I leave the side off the CPU and blow it out regularly. It's no worse inside and usually cleaner than the design computer upstairs in the house which only gets blown out when something overheats from dust build-up.

I use a 15' USB cable, a 2-port hub, then another 6 foot cable - seems to work fine.

maginter
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
OK now I'm jelious! Sweet set up!!!!

sailfl
01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Very creative, interesting and an excellent solution to how to have the computer near and yet out of the way when not needed. It gives me something to think about when I get ready to set my system up.

Thanks for sharing

mikek
01-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Here is my simple station without the dust bag.