PDA

View Full Version : New PRS Retro Z Axis for your PR & PRT

dave_minella
03-11-2009, 01:05 PM
I know most of you have heard about it, a few of you have seen it, and there are even a couple of you out there who own it, but here it is. The new ShopBot PRS Retro Z Axis info page is up on the ShopBot website.
http://www.shopbottools.com/accessories.htm

robredick
03-11-2009, 11:24 PM
I wish that ya'll had told me about this 2 weeks ago.

knight_toolworks
03-12-2009, 01:43 AM
now that may be something I could use. I have about .01 to .03 depth adjustment issues. I almost always have the depth off by that amount.
even with a new pinion gear and a rack tweak.
plus it looks like it would leave room for more hose in front since the spindle is back farther.
will it let you raise the z up higher then on a prt alpha? I run out of z when I am working on tall things.

harryball
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I've seen one and will be ordering one as soon as I get over some other unexpected issues.

I believe it could be easily adapted so the dust foot was spring loaded. i.e. when the Z retracts higher than your gantry rail it would extend without jambing. With a stop to keep the foot lower when needed it would allow the full range of the Z to work.

/RB

ron_moorehead
03-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Steve,

I have the new Retro Z and love it. It has a full 8" of travel on it and seems to go hire than the old z did on my 2.5 year old PRTAlpha. I am now thinking about adding some 8020 to my side rails to get more height and travel between the spindle and the table top to take advantage of the greater z travel. I am just north of you in Olympia, WA if you would like to see it some time.

Any word on a ShopBot camp for Oregon or Washington?

billp
03-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Ron,
All we need is someone to volunteer their shop to "host" such a West Coast event.....

knight_toolworks
03-13-2009, 02:22 AM
I would if I could get more then 1.5 people in my shop.

blackhawk
09-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Has anyone else gotten more experience with the Retro Z upgrade? Has it made a huge difference with your machine?

blackhawk
09-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Ron - Do you still like the Retro Z upgrade?

Anyone else using one?

ron_moorehead
09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Brad,

Yes I still like it, one of the best upgrades I did to my ShopBot.

gabepari
09-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Are the rails hardened? I need to upgrade the z-rails on my machine, as they are getting beat up by running a miterfold bit through 3/8" acrylic. Does anyone have any better photos of this upgrade that they can email me?

Thanks,

Gabe