PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat mdf - where?

cip
11-29-2006, 06:11 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some mdf powder coated?

Thanks

Mike

richards
11-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Mike,
There was a lot of interest in powder coating a few months back. Try the search feature to follow that thread. Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone locally powder coating MDF. Maybe someone out there has found a source.

bob_lofthouse
11-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Have you thought of using a polyurea or polyurethane coating which will give a plastic like finish and is very durable. We use it on some of our plywood products to make chiller vans or wet areas in the rear of vans.

There are some pictures on my website under "services"

In the USA you would use it in the rear of pick up trucks.

From my understanding there are several franchises over your side of the pond and it is available in a tin.

Let me know if you need the product/brand names?

kivimagi
11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
http://www.tigerdrylac.com/

kfitz
11-29-2006, 06:28 PM
We had some MDO parts powder coated at the following place, and they turned out VERY nice:

Decorative Veneer, Inc.
Plainwell, MI
269-685-9844

myxpykalix
11-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Can I ask a stupid question? How/why coat mdf? I guess you would do that AFTER you make a sign for coating protection correct? I thought powdercoating was an electrostatic operation and could only be done on metal (you can tell i watch American Choppers)? Would you have to make changes in your v carving depth settings to account for thickness of powdercoating or is that neglible?

kfitz
11-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Normally powder coating is associated with metal, but I can attest to the fact that it can be done to MDF and MDO with fantastic results. We had it done as an experiment during product development for wood training guns for hunter education classes. It turned out to be the way to go, rather than painting, for this particular product. It is also very durable.

myxpykalix
11-30-2006, 12:49 AM
Cool Beans...momma! So in theory you could make a sign out of a wood that might not be too friendly to outdoor exposure but powder coating would seal it completely?

thecustomsignshop
11-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Eastwood ( car restoration ) sells a powder coating guns which I bought a few years back, it is awesome. I'll have to try powdercoating MDO. That is a new one.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

itoolfred
11-30-2006, 05:59 PM
We've looked into this and the finish is awesome. There is a guy here in Phoenix that has the setup to powdercoard MDF and he has a ton of money in it with the ovens and such.
Recently our paint equipment rep came through and told us about a new product for powdercoating just about anything w/out the ovens. Supposedly they can even powdercoat cardboard. He is trying to get us some samples. Here is the web site. The process goes under "Thermal Coating" but uses the same powder as the metal systems. Web site:
http://www.xiom-corp.com/xiom%20us/xiom1000.htm
Fred

cip
12-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Thanks guys, I have located a company that does MDF but will only do large runs, 250 pieces or more. Still looking and will keep you up to date.

Mike

PS I'm not looking to buy equipment just have some coating done.

thanks again

elcruisr
12-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Normal MDF powder coating also requires a very specific moisture content in the MDF and special powders. There is special MDF made just for this process and of course, it ain't real cheap! Looked into the whole thing several years ago and talked to several guys using the process. They still struggled with difficulties and steered me away from it unless I wanted to jump in whole hog and with big $$$.

The Xiom process is pretty neat. I saw it's granpappy used on boat hulls and the process is excellent!

thecustomsignshop
12-01-2006, 02:16 PM
It works, I just tried it. Pretty cool.

cip
12-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Jim,
who did it for you?

Eric,
the guy I talked to told me that the type of MDF was not a really big deal if you use a good grade of MDF and yes the humidity factor was a issue. I also talked to some people that sell the equipment and yes it is quite expensive.

Mike

thecustomsignshop
12-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey Mike, I did it myself using a gun I purchased from Eastwood and a small oven. We do metal parts from time to time.

drodda
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Jim,
Do you have a part number for the Eastwood gun you used and the type of powder?

Thanks,

-D

jhicks
12-03-2006, 11:05 AM
The folks at Xiom seem to have a neat system but it looks like a $10K investment. Try their web site and send them a note. They seem to be responsive. IF anyone has this system I would like to try some sampling to see if its a commercially viable alternative to source coatings to you on signs and other materials.
If anyone wants this service I would seriously consider buying it as another addition to our shop once I measure quality and demand.
Please e-mail me if you have a source, an interest, or experience with the XIOM system/product.

wayne_walker
12-05-2006, 02:33 AM
Here is a link to a company in Ohio who does MDF powder coating.

http://www.dvuv.com/

I have not had anything done by them. One of the reps that call on me provided me with the info.

Hope this helps someone out.

Wayne

kfitz
01-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Dave,

I was looking for something else and stumbled upon an inexpensive powder coating system at Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42802