PDA

View Full Version : Standard Buddy 32 & Spindle for milling & drilling plastic & alum?

gerryv
02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Does it make sense to replace the PC router on my standard Buddy BT-32 with an HSD 2.2 hp 220v/single phase spindle if I want to mill plastics and aluminum from time to time and also so that I could use it for drilling. No production volumes, strictly hobby.

Would that mean I could use standard (machine shop) mills and drills?

harryball
02-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Once you use a spindle, you'll never go back. It makes perfect sense. If you can afford it, go for it.

/RB

wilbear
02-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Hi Gerald
I too am a hobbyist. I have a "Buddy 48" with a spindle--HDS 2.2 hp, 220v single phase. I do a lot of wood working and use a router a lot. If for no other reason than noise I would and did get the spindle. The spindle will out last the router by years. The spinlde has the availibity of larger diameter tooling. The spindle is really the way to go.
Good Luck

blackhawk
02-06-2009, 10:07 AM
RB and Wil - Have either of you ever wished that you had the 4HP HSD? I am also looking at spindles and debating whether to go 2.2 or 4hp. I need single phase and there is a big price difference from 2.2 to 4.

harryball
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
I do have the 4HP spindle, rarely do I call on it's full potential, but since I have it on an upgraded PRT alpha I have called on it.

The 2.2HP should be all you'd ever need on a Buddy, espeically a standard. Remember, a 2.2HP spindle can do considerable more than a 3+ HP router. A router only delivers full power at the max RPM and does not have the same torque.

/RB

beacon14
02-07-2009, 10:06 PM
I've been using the 2.2HP HSD for over a year and have cut everything from light V-Carving to hundreds of sheets of 3/4" melamine. I've never used the 4HP so I can't compare but I've been happy with the 2.2HP.

I assume I'll have to replace the bearings sooner than I would with the 4HP but so far so good. If anyone has experience or qualified opinions on the bearing life of a 2.2HP vs. 4HP I'd like very much to hear them.