PDA

View Full Version : Resizing question

myxpykalix
03-13-2009, 02:08 AM
This might fall under "part creation 1.01" and due to my memory I have forgotten it but here is my question.

I bought the book "Custom wooden music boxes" and it has copyable patterns in there. I copied this one (partial pic here) and my question is this.
If i resize the vectors to make the X,Y size larger, but want to keep the material thickness the same, I am also enlarging the slots that the material thickness is originally set for. If I do that the material will not fit properly.

Now after i set the x,y size (if i want to enlarge) do i have to go back and manually node edit my slots to resize them back to the original size or is there something obvious i'm missing here?

srwtlc
03-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Jack, yes they'll get larger and you would have to node edit to bring them back to size.

You could just draw a rectangle the size needed, place them where needed (copy/paste), and then do a weld to join them.

For the internal ones, don't select them when resizing. Although, depending on how much you resize, you might have to change the size of them anyway.

gundog
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
I would resize but also select each slot hit the move button and select the center anchor point and write down the cordinates then copy the original vector before resizing it paste it to the drawing and move it to the cordinates you wrote down and delete the over size vector.

There may be an easier way but that is how I would do it.

P.S I just noticed the vectors in the corners that would take some additional node editing using my method.

Mike

beacon14
03-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Um, once you re-size the drawings the inner rectangles will no longer be located at their original coordinates.

You will be in for a fair bit of tedious manual alterations to do what you are describing. The idea to save a slot of the right size and paste into the new locations is good, you might also be able to use the "offset" tool to shrink the slots back to their original size while maintaining their relative locations.

khalid
03-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Once you scale the drawing, the inner rectangle can be adjusted by OFFSET command...

The other slots can also be adjusted by manual editing of nodes or just breaking the end nodes (isolating them) and then using offset command and then reweld them...

andre
03-14-2009, 03:44 PM
you could draw a rectangle the size you need and place them in each slot centering them and and then node edit each corner of the slot and snap them to the placed rectangle of proper size. a little work but managable.

cowboy1296
05-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I am really pushing my limits on my table. But i have a new customer who wants to make a 3 word sign with 9 inch letters. Once you lay out the material i would need a board 15 feet long but he wants it on a 10 foot board. I squeezed the letters to fit and the preview does not look as bad as i would have thought but i am concerned that they will end up tall and skinny and close together. Any suggestions. For large 9 inch lettering what bit would you use?

ken_rychlik
05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
If you really want to be lazy, resize the whole thing and just do offsets on your cuts, OR lie to it and tell it the bit is a different size to get what you want.

Kenneth