PDA

View Full Version : 7.2 upgrade Need Help!!!!!

drodda
02-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I installed the 7.2 upgrade. I set the VU command to the x-2482.8171 and y-2482.8171 and left the Z alone.

I also changed the multipliers to 5 on the x and y.

When I use my keyboard arrow movement it seems to move 48 inches when I want it to move 48 inches. The X and Y both seem to work properly.

So I decide to cut a large rectangle to check my table for square.

The Bot moves over to the proper starting point from 0,0 and starts moving in the Y direction. It goes about 60 inches approxamately and the coords read 48 inches on the computer. It then goes in the X direction and it also goes about 12 inches farther than it should and the readout reads that it only traveled 50" in the X when it acutally is about 62 to 63 inches?

If once it is way off of the coord I jog it to 0,0 it goes back to the proper 0,0. I can then jog it 96 inches in the X direction and it moves 96". This has me stumped?

The rectangle is getting cut using CG commands in the cutting file. Is there something in the file that sets a variable that I now need to change to get he cutting files to work with the new motors?

Why does the program us CG commands for this simple cutting 4 straight lines? Seems to me like it would be much easier to just write 4 lines of movement? with 4 M3 or 4 M2 commands?

Brady Watson
02-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Dave,
Make sure that ALL white driver switches are to the left. Your XY UV should be = 2482.8171 & Multiplier X5, if you have 30 tooth pinions. I think you need to move the dip switches over, as I had the same condition when I hooked mine up for the 1st time (they were to the right & did the same things you mention).

-B

Brady Watson
02-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Oh...in regards to the CG commands, it is because you have the Arcs-Inch' post processor out of your software. Change it to straight 'ShopBot Inch' if you don't want CG commands. Regtangular cuts do in fact have curves in the corners...regardless of the post processor.

Here's the 1st few lines from a rectangle cut using the standard inch post:

MS,3.98,1.00

drodda
02-03-2008, 06:47 PM
SO I have narrowed it down to the fact that it moves correct in Jog speeds but in move speeds it is off by the error that I mentioned above.

Thanks Brady for the call. I guess I will try and call shopbot in the morning.

I was using 3.4.19 SB3 software. I updated to 3.5.5 as instructed by Brady. I now can't get the computer to comunicate with the bot. I no longer have a distance error, I have nothing.

As instructed by Brady I have went back to 3.4.19 version and once again I am back up with the original problem back. But at least the machine is moving.

Unless someone else has an answer I will be down till shopbot get's back to me tomorrow.

drodda
02-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Well I spent all day trying to get the 3.5.5 software to work on my computer. I even stole my 3 year old daughter's computer that she got for Christmas. It was the newest non-Dell computer we have so I thought I would give it a try. I got the speed test to run at 90% once and still could not get the machine to find the tool. After playing for awhile now I can't get higher than 40% on any of three different computers we have tried.

I am at a dead stop and it seems that I can't get the new software to run on anything we currently have.

What type of super computer do you need to run the UPGRADE to 7.2 on the PRT alpha?

I guess I will be talking with Shopbot in the morning. I have been down for two days now without use of my machine and this is getting frustrating.

Thanks to both Mike Richards and Brady for your after hours assistant with trying to troubleshoot this problem. Your help was greatly appreciated.

drodda
02-04-2008, 04:41 AM
I finally got the 3.5.5 SB3 software to work with my computer. I did the speed test and it showed 73.4% which seems to be good enough for the software as it states 70% or better is good.

Now after loading the 3.5.5 software I am exactly where I started this thread. The Bot still move the correct distance in jog mode but in move mode it moves about 60" and shows on the cords it only moved the 48 that I had typed in.

Well it is very late now and I am fried trying to fix this problem.I have tested this on three different computers and they all have the same results. They all three can run the new 3.5.5 and I now have the bot attached to the original older Dell and I get about the same speed test results.

I am just adding to this discussion so I can trace my steps when I finally get the problem solved.

Word to the wise. Do not try the upgrade on a weekend. Start the upgrade when you will be able to get ahold of a tech support person from Shopbot during business hours. The actual swaping everything took less than 1.5 hours. The troubleshooting time is still running.

I think the answer i am looking for is what would make the actual move distance different from the actual jog distance? If you only have one unit value for each axis?

fleinbach
02-04-2008, 05:02 AM
Dave

Did you try to delete the shopbot.ini in the Shopbot 3 folder. It contains the unit values and possibly it is corrupted. When you delete it a new one will be reproduced automatically.

bill.young
02-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Dave,

I know this is too late to help you with your current problem, but one of the support guys at ShopBot is on-duty all the time, including the weekends. You may have to leave a message if it's outside of normal hours, but they check messages often and will get back in touch.

Bill

drodda
02-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Frank and Bill,

I have done both of your suggestions. I deleted the INI file and also I used a brand new installation on my daughters computer and got the exact same results each time.

I also left a message for the support team. I emailed them also. So I figure I will hear from them today. As long as the support guys are not Patriot fans. If this is the case they are probably all suffering from a long hangover this morning.

drodda
02-05-2008, 12:06 AM
new drivers are on the way. With the help of some forum people and the tech support of shopbot the problem has been pinpointed and the solution is moving forward.

Once again the shopbot team comes through in a pinch.