PDA

View Full Version : Offset confusion...

harryball
09-05-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm getting confused trying to read the manual, I don't think I've found the right reference...

all I want to do is offset X to 9 so the cutter will view 0,9 as if it were 0,0

So far, I've changed both X and Y and the proportions of the part but luck just moving X...

help?

Robert

harryball
09-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Maybe I should explain what I'm trying to do... I'm cutting address plaques and each plaque has a different number. They are all 8 x 16 and I've cut the first one. I want to load a new part file for the next plaque and it move to X = 9, then x = 18 and so forth down the table... then I'll come back and start with X = 0 and Y = 17 etc...

I dont' want to fiddle with manually positioning the spindle head and running in 2D offset. I also want to remove this sheet after cutting several plaques, then load it later and cut more.

Robert

jsfrost
09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
One way is to run the desired file(s) from a script file. There is an example in the manual that shows exactly how. Something like:
M2,X1,Y1
FP, Yourfile1,,,,,2
M2 X2,Y2
FP, Yourfile2,,,,,2
and so on

See programming manual page 8

paco
09-05-2006, 04:42 PM
There are more than one way to achieve this Harry (is that it?).

To learn more about Table base coordinate and working coordinate (what you're refering too in the above post), seek Bill Young's corner on the SB WWW site.

One easy way to do this could be to nest your design on a full blank in your CAD/CAM. I don't know how many you have to make, but it's sure fast to proceed this way for me in about any CAD/CAM package.

You could program a routine to move and offset after each run file than move back to "start" (original) zero. Too much work involve if you ask me unless you have an order of 50 or more... but a good coding exercise though.

Consider a "get away" home position for you toolpaths so you don't have to do it each time...

harryball
09-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Every horse has a different name...
http://www.bentfork.com/temp/stableplaque.htm

AND... not every owner wants one right now.
It's 15" wide x 6.5" high cut from 3/4" MDF. It will be inside a barn.

On the pricing side... what would you guys charge for something like this unfinished? I know that's a loaded question. It takes me about 2 minutes to put in the name and toolpath it then about 12 minutes on the CNC. Fill in another 5 minutes for handling and bit changes and I'm at about 20 minutes before coffee breaks.

I don't want to undercut myself... I was thinking $25/ea ready to paint. Reasonable or are my prices too low?

On the other hand... this thing is fun, I've had a blast today.

Robert aka Harry

paco
09-05-2006, 06:37 PM
If that project is done into MDF (or sheet stock as it look so), you could load the full sheet on and program ALL those plaque to be carved with minimal tool change, handling. If only a name change on every plaque, it's still very efficiently done into say PW or better yet VETRIC's V carve PRO.

You'll say it add a nice border, but I'd say you could save a lot of time without the pocket...

As for pricing, sit back and consider every part involved into this project. DO NOT UNDERCHARGE because you just happen to like what you do and because you're having a fun doing it. Ask yourself, "If this customer really want those plaque, how much is he really likely to pay for and how much worth of work would it involved doing it another way. Since you got a ShopBot Tool, chances are you are fairly lower than competitor with "Big iron".

If you can nest a bunch at a time, I would call that kind of project "Tool on it's own"; meaning that while it's doing say the pocket or the engraving, you can be at the phone or at your design PC doing something else... = $$ It could be true for the cut out too with a good vacuum setup (in fact the vacuum will help making the engraving true with non flat sheet good) or a tabs at the start of every parts. Just be around there at the last couple ones...

harryball
09-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I may have to break it down into 1/4 sheets in the layout and run them that way. I have 10 to do right now, may not get another one for a while. Since I've not been doing these before, I don't know how to predict any steady flow.

The pocket adds a nice border, yes. I'm going to minimize the depth so it can cut fast and use a larger bit to prep and entire 1/4 sheet then customize from there.

DO NOT UNDERCHARGE... hmmm... sounds like I may need a plaque with that on it over my door... wonder what I should charge myself to make one? :-)

On this project I've worked out $30 unfinished.

I wish I'd bought Vcarve up front. I didn't so now I'm going to have to wait a little to fund myself up to it. What am I going to do with all this extra time!! I've finished all the bat houses I'll likely need for September in 1 day.

paco
09-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Don't get me wrong but I can't help myself on wondering why you want to cut a full sheet into 1/4?! You'd get a much better hold on a 4' X 8' than on a 1' X 8'!... not?!
Unless there's something VERY special about a specific project, I always wish myself a large piece of material to have an hold on to. I just hate it when someone send me a 24-1/2" X 24-1/4" when they are looking for me to make a 24" X 24" project in it!

If you really need/want this pocket, there's no problem... even if it's 1/2" deep. Just use a 1/2" CED tool bit to eat it away instead of a 1/4" CED (I'm assuming here from the picture you linked).

There's nothing wrong with coming with something not so expensive, just try to not give your talent (and you time) away for free... I don't know you, but I can assume you worth it!? I do happen to realize that I give my work (time) away sometime and I just can't help to not liking it. This is not about no being up front to help customer to solve problem(s) or after sale services, it's like say charging 2 minutes for CAD\CAM while one might know deep inside that time go away much faster when facing a computer... adding to the consideration the time you spent learning the process first, right!?
BTW, are you counting the cut off of your full sheet on the cost of this project?!

VETRIC's V Carve PRO is not an expense, it's an investment that will pay for itself within a few projects. 495.00$usd; you got that in your spare change! ;-D

pete
09-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Robert
Just curious - is the shape of your signs (kind of key shaped) any special significance? thanks. Pete

harryball
09-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I was looking at 2' x 4' sections. There's plenty of room between blanks to plant a few holddown screws. However, given the opportunity to stay in a whole sheet I'll take it. It does look like hold down will be a recurring theme.

I figured 16" x 8" for each plaque which easily fits inside that with inches to spare. At the largest it is 15" x 6.5".

I do need to get more bits. I've not received my Onsrud set yet either so I have less than a dozen of various types, not a wide range.

I think I'm going to keep the price low on the stall plaques (not to low) and use them as advertising. A lot of these horse people do other things and run businesses of their own. They need everything from bat houses to signs... I think it'd be good to be in front of them on their stall door everytime they go riding.

In the scheme of things VCarvePro is cheap enough, but in the bank account of things I really need to get some cash flowing with some specific projects before I invest anymore. I didn't finance (and don't) the machine so I've got a boatload of cash (my wife's new car) in this thing. I know it will work, it's been working for more than a year, just slow growth.

My wife is ok with it too. She's learning the software and loves making the artsy stuff. She has an embroidery system and has found the jump to CNC to be rather minor. I feel the time coming soon when we start to compete for CNC time, probably less than 30 days away. I forsee a second CNC within a year, maybe larger, maybe smaller.

Paco, keep up the good work! Keep me thinking and honest. I'm a computer engineer fresh off 16 years in the internet industry. As a result I HATE working ON computers or routers or internet configs... I'm burned out. I don't even want to open the controller door and look inside. If you ask me for help with a router... I want to know what HP it is.

Robert

harryball
09-06-2006, 11:50 AM
The sign shape is based on a request from the customer. They have seen something similar before with the horsehead off to the left.

Robert