PDA

View Full Version : New user needs help

bcorbin
03-16-2008, 10:43 PM
I have had my shopbot for 3 weeks now and have been unsucessful so far at getting my part files to run, my use for the machine is quite simple, all I need to do is cut out different sized letters in different fonts out of 1/2 plywood. I have never used any kind of router and when I purchased the machine was told it was pretty simple to learn, I have read the manual and most of what it talks about seems like a foreign language to me. I would like to take some training but at this point that is just not an option, I have to get these letters cut out ASAP for customers who have been waiting. Please speak in terms I can understand! I'm an at home mom trying to get her business off the ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thewoodcrafter
03-16-2008, 10:49 PM
So what is the problem?
Does your machine work?
Do you have your parts drawn?

bcorbin
03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
ya the machine will do the shopbot logo etc the stuff to get you started, so it seems to be working fine. I have the file I made on Partworks, when I go to the shopbot to execute file it says comand not currently supported; ignoring on the top of the box it says development debug error line 1etc. and keeps throwing this message on the screen when I click ok.

thewoodcrafter
03-16-2008, 11:12 PM
So you have your part drawn, you ran a tool path on it and used the right postp and saved the file all in Partworks.
Start the SB control, load the file and what happens?

bcorbin
03-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Ive gotten it to go into the command section now and it's not giving me that prob it seems to have progressed correctly so far. I can see a bunch of different "directions" in the box on the bottom but it isnt doing anything do I need to give it a command to start? I thought I was doing that by hitting enter? Sorry I will probably look back on this as a really stupid road block but right now Im just frustrated I cant get it to do what I want!! Thanks, Britiani

bthoron
03-17-2008, 12:14 AM
We found that the first few part files we made we had them processed for the the shopbot drill setting, not the "shopbot inch" setting. This created a great deal of nothing happening except the further loss of my hair.

Assuming that you can move the bot in manual and that your connections are good to the drive...
It might be that when you save your tool path you need to change the machine output tool format to "Shopbot inch arc" or "shopbot inch".
On the other hand this might not be the solution.

Ben

myxpykalix
03-17-2008, 01:19 AM
If you send me the dxf i can make a cut file for you and send it back (for a test piece). If it works then I can tell you how to set your files up the same way so you can try it on your machine.