PDA

View Full Version : Considering purchasing a new shopbot

dtwharton@earthlink.net
10-21-2003, 03:55 PM
I am looking at buying a new shop bot for our cabinet shop and for one off work. How long is set up and what is the learning curve for getting the machine running and producing parts.

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
10-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Doug,

I can answer that question here in about a week of so. I plan on giving a detail account of it.

Jay

bjwat@comcast.net
10-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Doug,
Plan on about 2 days for a PRT96 if you are mechanically inclined. If you have a few buddies to help it may go quicker.

The 2nd question is difficult to answer. It all depends on what you already know, plus how quickly you learn. As with anything, don't expect to cut out a run of doors the 1st week and have them be as perfect as you cutting out the same file 6 months from now. That's not to say that it can't be that way, but it all takes time to feel confident while running the machine. It also takes time to learn feeds and speeds, material holding and other factors.

Be patient with yourself and it will all work out.

-Brady

johnandrhondawebb@netzero.net
10-22-2003, 12:17 AM
Speaking of speeds & feeds, has anyone compiled a broad spectrum summary table yet?... with material/density/thickness data in rows at left with columns showing, say, bit types/plunge depths- & fields showing a range of rpms & feedrates?... It seems logical to have this compiled somewhere- no need to re-invent the wheel if you knowhatamean. I've seen sporadic posts on this material or that material, but no summary table for use as a basis. Still haven't cracked my PRT96 package, so I'm hoping there'll be something like that with a phat manual/guide in there...

-John

dtwharton@earthlink.net
10-22-2003, 02:37 AM
Thanks guys! Also we have been using some freeware for our cabinet design and for those who actually build cabinets what software do you use for cutlists and layout. We have been haveing all kinds of problems with the one were using. (dont want to give the name) I guess you get what you pay for.

thanks,
Doug

jay
10-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Doug, I have been using Sheet Layout, available at Sheet Layout (http://www.SheetLayout.com). There are different levels of registration depending on the number of pieces you wish to cut in a project. Registration starts at $35. I have been using it a couple of months with no hickups as yet.

elcruisr
10-22-2003, 07:30 AM
John,
Feed and speed guidlines are not that black and white. Different manufacturers tooling have different geometries which result in different feeds and speeds. A resharpened tool will work differently from a new one. Different jobs will need different levels of edge quality vs speed of production. I've even had different batches particle board and plywood result in different feeds and speeds to achieve needed results with the same tooling. What I consider acceptable for my needs will be different from someone else.

For example I just finished up a huge run for one customer where edge quality was a non issue. The parts were used for upholstered furniture frames. I ran the tooling as fast as the 'bot could feed it at as low an RPM as workable. This meant longer tooling life, more parts per tool and a somewhat scalloped edge. I can also cut back on feed a little run the rpms up and achieve a clean edge in the same material with the same tool.

The truth is a it's a learning curve that we all have to pay our dues in. One piece of advice is that unless this is just a hobby, be prepared to spend good money on good tooling. Cheap tooling will get the life span and results you paid for.

Eric

paul
10-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi Doug

I use Cutlist Plus from (www.bridgewooddesign.com)for all my Cutlists and layouts, it also does job costings including other materials like hinges, screws and paint etc. The version I have even calculates using offcuts from previous jobs.

When they get around to output DXF files it will be even better, prices start @ $29.95

Paul