PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up older shopbot

ludlow6
01-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Anyone out there for hire? I need help on setting up older Shopbot. Cable drive model..... Its complete and was working before it was moved... I just need help getting it up and working...... Located in Connecticut...Thanks

ron_varela
01-19-2008, 07:28 PM
James do you have the manuals on it? If not I have it.
Drop me an email with your phone number and I will help you out if I can.
I live in Texas
Ron

nailzscott
01-19-2008, 08:10 PM
James, I just picked up an older cable drive model a couple of months ago and went through the process of getting it running. I went to the shopbot site and downloaded the 2.38 version of the software and loaded it up. That took care of the initial problems it was having.

ron_varela
01-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Scott did the manuals I sent you help any with some of the problems you were having.

Ron

nailzscott
01-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Ron, Yes. There were a lot of duplicate pages, but once sorted out, they filled in some gaps. The one still vague area was tension on the cables. There is a reference to it, but no real way to tell if they are tight enough. Still, it gives me some areas to look at if and when issues develop. I will be sending you an email relative to something else. Thanks

ron_varela
01-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Turn the turnbuckles until there tight on both side, then turn both sides 1/2 turn until you see no slipping

nailzscott
01-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Ron, I was cutting a sign that was 24" long, doing pocketing so that the letter would remain (cutting away the material around). During the back and forth the length doing the pocketing, I believe it was slipping. With no load I was running the x back and forth and heard it miss a step once in a while. I tightened the turnbuckles and slowed down the cut to .8 - and the next cut sign was OK. I just don't know how tight is too tight on the cables. I'll keep experimenting but I do not want to break the cables.

ludlow6
01-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks Ron and Scott..... I do have the manuals... It was working before we moved it... I guess the only help I could use is placement of some of the wires that connect the PC to the bot.... i will send more details about the wiring i need help with... Thanks Again

ron_varela
01-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Scott my days playing with the cable drive was all based on trial an error.
I found it best to set the cut speed no higher then .50 when cutting ¼ inch deep and set the speed to .75 when cutting 1/8 inch deep. Jog speed I never set higher then 1.0
To set the turnbuckles just tighten them so there firm and have no slack in them, then do a jog speed of 1.0 and move the x to 50 inches then JH when it stops.
While it is moving look to see if it is slipping and on what motor.
Make a full turn on that turnbuckle and test again.
Then get some scrap material at least 40 inches long and do some cutting 1/8 deep and set speed to .75.
If you have no slipping then do some cuts at .50 and ¼ inch deep.
If you continue to get slipping then check your cables for frayed plastic or cuts in it.
I have new cables and motors and 2 encoders if you need them.

Ron

nailzscott
01-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Ron, Thanks. I'm traveling now but will play with the machine some more on the weekend. Trial and error is where I am. Slowing the cut speed down did seem to work best.