PDA

View Full Version : PRT 96

GlenP
01-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi everyone, I was wondering if some of you give me some input on a prt 96. I have read some posts on poor cut quality and am wondering if this machine is going to be suitable or should I be looking at the alpha or new prs machine. The prt is a 2003 model with a router. I would probably use the machine for cutting sheet goods for cabinets and small dimensional signs. I have read about the 4g upgrade and maybe that would be a good idea as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Gp

bleeth
01-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Glen: Personally I believe two upgrades are necessary:
1. Gecko 202's (4g upgrade, Dirks (Hot bot) or the Ascension(You deside which is right for you))
2. Stiffening the gantry and car through auxiliary welding or modified design.

Depending on the cost and included accessories of the PRT you are looking at, you could come out ahead either way.

gamisano
01-20-2007, 11:51 AM
My PRT has great cut quality. Resolution is awesome, cuts are smooth. I may still do the 4G upgrade eventually because it'd be nice to have the faster jogging speeds. I do mostly one-off signs, so Im not sure if I will be utilizing the higher cutting speed potential or not.

I also have a spindle, so that may make a difference in cut quality between that of a router...not sure. I think that if the machine is assembled, squared, and leveled properly then cut quality will not be an issue.

Guido

jhicks
01-20-2007, 01:21 PM
I second Dave's input with one more consideration being motors. More HP is better once you achieve higher speeds and stability. I would definately recommend one of the faster, smoother move speed options and go from there if it fits your budget. Folks did fine before these options were available too so learn to maximize what you have and make improvements as you see fit when you can.

aaasigncom
01-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I WOULD LEARN ON THE SETUP YOU NOW HAVE USING INPUT FROM THIS FORUM TO PROPERLY ALIGN AND SET UP/TWEEK YOUR MACHINE. WITH THE PROPER SET UP YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH YOUR PRT. THE UPGRADES ARE ALL CHEAP FOR A TOOL OF THIS CALIBER. SPENDING MONEY GETS YOU MOST OF ALL SPEED WITH INCREASED RESOLUTION. DO YOU NEED PRODUCTION SPEED AT THIS POINT OR MORE EXPERIANCE. SHOPBOT, WHAT A GREAT AND HIGHLY CUSTOMIZEABLE MACHINE WITH GREAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT,

fleinbach
01-20-2007, 04:35 PM
My first shot by was a PRT, and I used it for a little over a year until the PRTAlpha was introduced. I sold it and purchased a PRT Alpha, partly because of the improvements, and I also found I needed a larger table. If I had not needed a larger table I may not have made the move as quickly since the PRT was doing an excellent job. While I was at it I also moved from a router to a spindle. The quietness of the spindle was worth it for me.

But I guess to answer your question I feel that the PRT with a standard router will do an excellent job, if used properly.

steve4460
01-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi Glen

If you have the bucks and are serius about making all kinds of things ranging from signs to cabinet parts and 3D then I would go with the latest and the greatesd . I have an alpha 4x8 and it will do anything I tell it to do and it will do it a lot faster and better then the PRT, The alpha is defenetly is the way to go . A feind of mine has a PRT , for what he dose it is fine ,but after seeing and playing with mine he is dreaming of getting an alpha , becouse it dose everything his dose only fast, quieter and better then his dose . As you learn how the bot works you will want the latest and the greates .also I would recommend to go with the better software like eather artcam insignia or artcam pro . That way you get to use the full potential of what this mashine can do . Once you learn the basics you will be able to do anything you can dream of on the computer and cutt it out on the bot . Plus the support you get from shopbot and this forum is AWSOME .
Bot on

SV