PDA

View Full Version : Finish Question

butch
03-06-2009, 11:01 PM
I have been trying to find a stain color used by some furniture manufacturers. It is called Mission brown. I thought I found it by using Old Masters Red Mahogany jell stain, but it is way too red. About the right shade but not brown enough. So far I have not been able to find a 'brown' jell stain, and was wondering if anyone on here is matching that color and how you are doing it?

Thanks
Butch

david_gardner
03-06-2009, 11:26 PM
The browns we usually use are Minwax Special Walnut and Dark Walnut. They are available in gel stains as well.

cabnet636
03-07-2009, 05:07 AM
we get a stain called mission oak from spray one in lex sc 803 356 0375 that is made by nanochem, we use a lot of it as wecan dilute it with natural stain base or darken it in toning but the "brown" is spot on

jim

bleeth
03-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Butch: Furniture Manufacturers mix their own stains and name them whatever they want to. To dead match you have to do the same.

woodworx
03-07-2009, 08:46 AM
The easiest way I have found is have your stains made up at Sherwin Williams. If they have a guy who knows what they are doing, you will get a great stain match. They keep the tints on file, and you can always go back and get more. This has by far been the best stain I have ever used. Goes on very consistent and is very forgiving if you need to do touch ups.

mjindustry
03-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Justin-
I was just at my local Sherwin yesterday and they were showing us NatureOne and Nature Color stains. Is this the brand of stains you get form them?

cabnet636
03-07-2009, 11:28 AM
i am pretty sure SW owns ml campbell

they do have a decent product, they just never have enough reps that understand it.

jim