PDA

View Full Version : How Long?

oscarg1971
08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
How long does it take from the time you order a shopbot, till it arrives at your front door?? Thanks, Oscar

steve4460
08-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Hi Oscar
Mine took about 3-4 weeks to get here. Check with shopbot when you order it .

joenagel
08-09-2006, 06:52 PM
I just ordered mine yesterday and they said it would ship the week of Sept 15.
I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!!!

ryan_slaback
08-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Ordered ours on June 21st. It shipped from Shopbot on July 28th. Got here the 31st.

oscarg1971
08-09-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm assuming they have to build it and the ship it out. That's good. Thanks guys. -OG

dhunt
08-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Those of you with Shopbots on order, paid for, need to spend the waiting time getting your dust extraction and other peripheral systems prepared.

Check your EARTHING/GROUNDING (25 Ohms or less) before you start blowing controller board components.

Get your dedicated PC ready: preferably wipe the drive, reinstall the Operating System
and whatever version of Shopbot control software you choose to use.

There's lots to do..

mikek
08-10-2006, 08:05 AM
It took 6 weeks for my Benchtop.

kerrazy
08-10-2006, 08:16 AM
David makes a great point on what to do while waiting for your tool to arrive.

I would suggest you download the documentation for your tool avaiable on ShopBot's website, so you have the majority of the infastructure in place and can then focus on assembling your tool when it arrives.

Bear in mind to have additional cabling attached to electrical connections if you install a subpanel for power so in the event your desired location is not suitable you can then simply move the panel to a more convenient location rather than having to call the electrician back in to move you sub panel.

Also download Parts wizard and start to play with the software and get an idea of what you can create before your tool arrives. This will allow you get a good foundation on part creation and tool path strategies before you are over stimulated with making the machine move and cut.

Dale

patricktoomey
08-10-2006, 09:50 AM
I would also suggest asking if there are any other botters in your area. There are lots of people on this forum who would be happy to help a new botter get up and running. If you can even get a couple of hours with someone who has been through the experience of setting up a ShopBot you may save days of hair pulling and maybe some damaged parts.

dhunt
08-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Yes, someone else's previous experience can be helpful.

For example, try to locate your SB control box somewhere opposite/alongside the midway point of your X-axis
and not towards the end, or end-corner, of the machine.
Bear in mind that you need to dangle control wires down from an overhead 'Center Point' of sorts,
to acomodate machine movements to all extremes of the table!

One of the SB setups I'm familiar with uses a handy swinging boom to 'distribute' control wires: the boom follows the machine,as it drags the wires and the boom, as it travels back and forth along the X-axis.

Another setup however, was forced to place the booth holding the SB Control PC off the end-corner of the table, (far from ideal!)
and this gave us some challenges allowing wiring to go as far out to the extreme opposite corner of the table as needs be..(but we made it).

'Simple' considerations like that can make a lot of difference to later headaches!

I guess there are guys with SB setups who gather all the wires centering on/at the bow,
and then lead them DOWN to the floor,
(with 4.5 ft. of neatly-routed sloppy slack)
and across to the control box,somewhere nearby,
but I rather think most control wires go UP towards the ceiling
and then across and out to the Control box.

Hey, it's your setup, and it can always be changed after a few aggravating months, but considerations like this, mulled over for that waiting period, could save you all the rewiring hassle.

oscarg1971
09-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Well gang, I finally ordered my benchtop and stand the other day. Wont be here till end of Sept or beginning of Oct. Been researching and playing with programs for several months now. Can't wait to put it to good use. -Oscar

joe
09-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Good for all you guy ordering bots. All of us wish you many happy hours of work.

You have just joined a community of like minds. Support is at hand!

oscarg1971
10-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi Gang! Guess I can call you gang since I recieved my benchtop this past weekend. Although there were several missing nuts and bolts, and I had to make a few trips to Home Depot to get them, it went together pretty smoothly. Still have a couple of things to get done. And I've already started with the questions.
Nice to be apart of the community. I'm sure you all will be hearing from me. -Oscar

dhunt
10-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Missing nuts and bolts? how did that happen?
You got one of those putting-things-away-safely wives,too?

scottcox
10-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Welcome Home, Oscar!

This forum is great, so ask away. If you ever find yourself near Austin, you're welcome to visit and see my bot. And do plan on going to Wayne Locke's Camp Shopbot in Austin next spring. Guaranteed to make your head spin!

Scott Cox
Canyon Lake, TX

joewino
10-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Took a little over two months to get my PRTalpha 96. Like some others have stated, there were some T-nuts missing and the manual didn't get put in the box, but was shipped later.

Also, the holes were not drilled correctly on the cross supports for the bed, but it was an easy job to make a few new ones.

To even things out, we did have a few nuts and washers left over - so all in all it was an easy assembly.

I'll second the suggestion to attend the ShopBot Camp in Austin. I was there last year and the event was pivitol in me deciding to order a ShopBot. Hope to be there again this next year if the dates work out. Maybe I can contribute something to this one. I was just the bump on the log last year.

oscarg1971
10-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks gents. Still getting a few quirks worked out with support. But I'm sure it'll all some together nicely. I wanted to go to the camp last year but was not able to make it. My in-laws are in austin so I'm there all the time. I got ideas I can't wait to cut! -Oscar

kc10flteng
10-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Check your crate contents CAREFULLY. Do an inventory for all parts & hardware. Do a quick survey of your "electronics" and make sure you received what you ordered. Lastly, do a quick check of all assemblies - make sure that there are no glaring assembly "snafus" like roller studs drilled 30 degrees off what they should be or assemblies that should be flat that aren't. Don't ask me how I know this. Good luck

harryball
10-10-2006, 08:26 PM
For those that have yours, how long did it take for you to get your Onsrud bit sets?

Robert

joewino
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Mine came in the crate with the ShopBot.

oscarg1971
10-11-2006, 01:59 PM
My alignment issues have been solved. Thanks Tim and Scott in support. What I learned: Check that your X and Y "Unit Values" are correct. Thanks guys. -Oscar