PDA

View Full Version : New Beginnings...Marketing Strategies

bjwat@comcast.net
08-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Well...Today was the day. I was laid off at my day job as a result of reduction of force. About 55 of us lost our jobs. I wrote shop control software for the company (for 5yrs) and many other specialized applications.

I bought my Bot last November and somehow instinctively knew at that time, and before, that I had to get rolling on my Plan B. Well...Plan B is now Plan A. The IT job market has been dry for a while now.

So...one part of me is excited at getting out of the prison/salt mine that I detested going to every day...but the other part of me is wondering how I am going to pay the mortgage...

I've been spending every extra minute and every extra dollar gearing up for some type of business using my Bot. I'm pretty good with the router and plasma cutter and I am trying to focus in on what people need.

How did you guys that didn't have an established business before you bought your ShopBot get rolling? What did you make? How did you advertise? What types of clients (businesses) did you target when you were getting started?

The problem that I am finding with owning a machine that can almost do anything, is focusing on something that is going to put money in my pocket.

I searched on the board and liked Ron Varela's school deal for fund raising. How would I go about initiating something like that? Who would I contact in the school system?

Samples/marketing...What items could I make as samples to be sent to prospects that would be impressive? I forget what is impressive now that I have a Bot

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Brady

Mayo
08-06-2003, 11:53 PM
I sent out info to all the local schools and churches in the hopes of doing address signs (as was mentioned) and not a single one of the several hundred mailing pieces resulted in a sale. If you find a way that works, I'd sure love to hear about it too!

bruce_clark
08-07-2003, 02:26 AM
Mr. Watson,

While I am probably the last person to ask since my machines are used almost exclusively for non money making signage for my REAL job, I would go to a local souvenir shop (not Wal-Mart) or even a swap meet and see what is selling well that you could produce on your machine. Maybe even make up some business cards and drop them off after you talk to the proprietor. A lot of upper scale botique shops are always looking for locally produced items that are different.

An example, is a friend of mine produces little jam holders (the size of the kind you get on airplanes--more of the sampler sizes). Anyways, he buys locally produced jams then turns the base and handle on a wood lathe and uses a cnc router to route out the pockets for the jam jars. He load up the holder with 5 different jams and wraps it up in plastic and ties a bow to seal it (I could supply a picture if I am not making myself clear) and sells them to the local shops by the hundreds.

Now, this type of stuff usually sells a lot better in high traffic touristy areas. Maybe you need to take a LOCAL vacation. Also, wear a pair of comfortable shoes, as you will need to hit a LOT of pavement. If you get orders from two shops in a single town, you are doing a LOT better than most sales reps. Don't take rejections personnaly. Many shops do not buy things during their busy season. Most of the souvenir shops buy/place orders for things up to 6 months in advance, so if their busy season is Christmas, you need to show them Christmas stuff NOW. If it is Hallowween, well you missed that one this year!

Ok, another area is swapmeets. This, to me is the ideal business. You work two days a week (when most people are off) and you get 5 days off! Well, not really. You spend those 5 days makeing stuff for the two days at the swapmeet.

Again, visit a local swap meet and see what is selling. Try to find a local arts and crafts swapmeet or festival. Many artsy fartsy type towns have these once or twice a year. Also, if you are doing "high class work" you might also look into events that attract this type of clientel, such as wine festivals or fancy car concours.

Now, I am not familar with where you are, but if you are ever in Southern California, you need the visit the Orange County Fair in Newport (about 1/2 hour south of LA). If you are not in California, maybe you need to TAKE A VACATION there! The way that that meet is run is increadible (it only runs on Weekends, so plan accordingly). Anyways, walk EVERY isle and see what is selling AND you can make on/with your Shopbot. It seems that what is selling there NOW will be popular across the country in 3 to 6 months.

Anyways, a good first product for a Swapmeet entry is yard art and bird house type stuff. A example is the reindeer cut outs that are (were) available for download from Shopbot's website. These are easy to do and are good sellers during the Christmas season. Jackolanterns and such stuff are good during Halloween and you can always fall back on bird houses during the spring.

Lastly, look at your other (besides Shopbotting) hobbies. Do you kayak, skateboard, or snowboard? Hobbies that you are very interested at good because a)you really KNOW something about and generally CARE the type of stuff you buy. B) you know what is needed/wanted and how you would/could make it or make it better.

For example, you live in a snowskiing resort area (or are close to one) and you like to snowboard. Maybe you have always wondered why they don't make good, yet inexpensive snowboards for beginners. Well, now is your change to get into the business product exactly that!

Say you don't live near snow, but live in an Urban jungle. How about producing skateboards. There are many different styles and shapes. Maybe you don't need to start your own skateboard company, but you could always visit a local skateshop and see if they ever get request for special shapes (or even a local "private lable" brand of board.

Again, this ASSUMES you know something about these hobbies. Don't try to make skateboards if you (like me) think that skateboards are the _scurge_ of the Earth! [we have problems with skateboards vandalizing our place of business]

I think you get the idea. What ever you do, get out there and sell. Remember, if it was easy, EVERYBODY would be doing it. Selling takes a lot work and a lot of miles.

Bruce
PS There is always Ebay (the virtual swapmeet)!

elcruisr
08-07-2003, 06:36 AM
I've been in woodworking for about 20 years and was dragged into the world of CNC about a year ago. It has gone from another shop tool to a primary part of our business. Our current run is now 18,000 parts for one customer. You have to do some serious market research in your area. Our plan was to avoid dealing with the general public and do wholesale work only. As a result we developed relationships with all the other woodshops in our area. We turned many into customers instead of competitors. You have to show them how you can make their repetitive parts cheaper than they can by hand. That they can handle bigger contracts and expand their business without additional expense. Then you have to deliver on time, on spec and on price! We've done everything from engraving lettering for a church fixture builder to parts for the upholstered furniture business. Restaraunt fixture builders are a good customer as well as display builders. Mailings have never worked for us. You ned to show a face in their business and develop a proffesional relationship. We hired a salesman for the initial work but you can do it yourself as well. Remember to follow up constantly. It can take 3-5 visits to open up business with them.

Good luck!

Eric

kerrazy
08-07-2003, 08:30 AM
Brady,
I am truly sorry for your situation, but well... Good it is about time you got the shove you needed.

Ok enough of that now for the business. I had absolutley no idea what I would do with our Machine here a LiveWorkPlay, I initially purchased it for a clock we were making and frankly a small bench top model would do that job just fine. but something told me to go big or go home so I ordered a PRT machine for our woodworking venture. We have had it since January and I must state that with my latest job of a 52' X 52" stencil tis sucker will be paid off.
I have spoke to a few vinyl sign guys who are small shops and you know don't have the extra dough to lay out for a machine as well as the time to spend learning how it works.

These are going to be your bread and butter. That one stencil has a material cost of 1000.00 and I will sell the job for 4300.00.

You, being fortunate enough to have a plasma cutter as well will be able to double your prices as guys who have such tools, use it for big production runs and it is too much of a pain to shut it down so there prices are 4 - 5 times market demand.

You my friend are in the drivers seat. Just have a few samples on hand and go take your nicest pieces and visit all the small shops in your area, within a couple of weeks you will be seeing purchase orders piling up.

If I can help please do not hesitate in the least.

Ah now that you have some time on your hands, I also expect to see you at my camp. LOL

You can do it.. trust me.
Dale

bjwat@comcast.net
08-07-2003, 09:39 AM
Guys...Thanks a million for all of your informative and kind responses, both on and offline.

So much information has passed before my eyes in the past 24hrs about possibility that I am really psyched! I think that now the stress of driving 100 miles a day and going to a place that I hate is gone, I can really let all of the things I've been putting off or dreaming of doing flood in.

Good thing I followed my intuition and bought the ShopBot...If I hadn't I'd most likely be stuck.

I have to say that this is a great community. The kind that this country was built upon. Instead of hoarding info and keeping it to ourselves, we share it with each other. That isn't too prevalent these days.

Thanks again!!!
-Brady

papadaveinwy
08-07-2003, 11:07 AM
Brady,
If you live in an area close to a spot that hosts Trade Shows then Get a resale Licence and go see what is selling, these trade shows I am talking about are wholesale market places that wholesalers show off their stuff, it is a good place to find contacts also, as most of the venders do not manufacture any of their own items. Also don't forget the Federal Gov. I landed a contract with them that in one month of work neted me almost a years worth of wages. Good luck and may God make you prosper. David in Wyoming

kerrazy
08-07-2003, 11:47 AM
David,
Drop me a line, have a task for you young man.

Dale

Brady,
OK you had three hours this morning how many jobs have you got...Come on what's the hold up LOL
Dale

bjwat@comcast.net
08-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Well Dale...
I did acquire a small job this morning...gave myself a haircut and watched another hour of a Dan Penã video...and now I am getting ready to go to 'Ployment.

-Brady

pierrewessels@hotmail.com
08-07-2003, 12:37 PM
Brady,
Reading your post (and responses) this morning was quite comforting. Most of the topics are things I have been thinking about recently. I have a feeling I will also be in a simmilar position in the near future. I also bought a PRT96 almost a year ago as a plan b and am thinking that it was a very timely decision. I would also like to thank everyone for their responses - The phrase "2 birds one stone" comes to mind.
Every time I come here I learn something new and am refreshed at the free sharing of knowledge.

Time to go to the flea market this weekend I think!

Pierre - Just one of the many other Bradys out there

kerrazy
08-07-2003, 01:15 PM
David,
Drop me a line, have a task for you young man.

Dale

Brady,
OK you had three hours this morning how many jobs have you got...Come on what's the hold up LOL
Dale

bjwat@comcast.net
08-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey papadave....You have me intrigued about the Govt contract...What in the world are you making?

-Brady

papadaveinwy
08-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Brady, and Dale
Sorry I haven't been on the web for a few days and haven't been to the forum since the last time I posted. any way Dale I will contact you on Mon. Brady I have a contract for 4' x 6' "Todays fire Danger" Signs for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service and have been very busy with them. for your info you can register on sba.gov/gcbd and follow the prompts, you have to be registured to bid on contracts. The Gov spends billions buying things this way as they don't manufacture anything. David in Wyoming P.S. These signs I am doing are on three layers of HDO 3/4" thick and weigh about 200 lbs finished. they are reflective vinyl and this is why I use a real vinyl plotter and not the vinyl mate I could not do the production in the time alloted if I were trying to use that. (just to stir the old pot once again) [
]

bjwat@comcast.net
08-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info Dave! I'll check out the site.

Dale, I'm probably going to come up to Ottowa...

-Brady

davidallen
08-11-2003, 11:34 AM
I was in the same situation 4 months ago. I thought that I'd try and extend my cash by doing some flea market / swap meet business and a few odd jobs until something full time came up. BIG MISTAKE. I wound up with so many different 'projects' that I couldn't focus and effectively complete any one.

now the cash is gone and I've got to find shop space where I can sleep and work while pulling retail shifts to pay for supplies.

don't get too fragmented. find your target early and stay the course.

da

bjwat@comcast.net
08-12-2003, 11:16 AM
David,
Thanks for the tips...It's true that you need money to make money. I've been doing a little work with my plasma cutter for the automotive aftermarket. What I have been finding there, is the fact that people are charging insane prices for simple items that I can cut on my machine. I am working with a friend who will handle all selling, marketing and shipping of the items. The mark-up is crazy...

On the router side of things, I just started working with a customer who wants 100 items in hard maple to start and ongoing orders. I just located some stock and the protytping/reverse engineering of his existing design is where I am at the moment.

-Brady

jimmythethief
08-12-2003, 12:52 PM
I don't have my bot yet, but I was thinking about your problem, and remembered a few construciton jobs I worked on...one of them was a prison job and the company I worked for at the time was installing all the intercom systems in the place and over head sound systems...everything in the place needed to be covered with a tamper proof steel cover...we got them made from a machine shop that did them by hand...they paid alot of money to have them done...and they still sucked...most of them you had to make sure you had a hammer to make them fit right...but anyway...with the plasma cutter...I'm sure you could make serious cash doing only protective face plates for places like prisons and the like...also...what about the iron working companys in your area? They always need small parts cut and designs that they do by hand for construction jobs...you could do it for them...just my two cents...

Erik F.

sleepy
08-18-2003, 10:33 PM
I own a bench top in a very busy tourist area. I bought my tool last year. It paid for itself in the first three months of use. I make routed redwood signs. I am now designing a line of signs that will be marketed in Country Sampler magazine. I will sell them wholesale to retail stores as well.

bjwat@comcast.net
08-19-2003, 04:31 PM
How did you do the marketing, David? Where did you initially sell the signs? Signs of what?

-Brady

artisan
08-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Brady, I also make signs in a busy tourist area...among other things. By far....in my humble opinion.... the easiest way to make money with your shopbot, is to make 3D letters and signs. If you would like to email me, I can give you some particulars, but you can generate some nearly instant business by visiting your local vinyl sign shops, and offering to cut foam, metal, plastic and wood letters for them at wholesale. There is a constant need for custom work in this business....D

bjwat@comcast.net
08-20-2003, 09:25 AM
Darrell,
How is wholesale price or true market value detrmined when figuring a job like this?

Thanks!
Brady

garbob
08-22-2003, 09:20 AM
Hey Brady,

Some sign guys use this and some don't but it is definitely encouraging thinking that you can get these prices. The prices that I am referring to are the end user prices for signs of all types, including cnc routed, hand carved and sand blasted signs, one or both faces from the "2001 Official Sign Contractors Pricing Guide". There may be a newer one. Some sign component wholesalers sell this book. If nothing else you can see what the market will bear and just use a percentage of the price for different products or treatments, but it does provide a really good starting point.

I provide a cutting service to sign companies, not as much as I'd like, but I find that many of them (the most talented artists, it seems) are just not prepared to charge enough for a routed sign, so they can't pay my prices. But some think that my prices are really low. Go figure.

Hit every sign company, small manufacturer and building contracter that you can find. Building contractors love large archways and other large decorative trim made of mdf. If you use something like Bill Young's stepped, scarfed joints there is no limit to the size of products that you can provide. You can sell these to them for about a third what the big boys want. AND you can do what they WANT, not what's available from the big supplier's catalogue.

Gary

ckurak
10-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Dale,

I'm in a position similar to Brady. I have found this message thread to be quite helpful and encouraging. So, let me share a little about my situation in hopes of finding some more answers for myself and possibly others also.

I spent the last few decades as a software engineer. My job was cut in my last company's first round of reductions. The company went through several more reductions, and has since ceased operations. It was a high-tech startup company, so there was definitely a risk involved. Oh, all those stock options I had earned and shares I had purchased during the 3+ years I was there? Worthless. :-(

Now, on to the positives: I've done some woodworking, house remodeling, and cabinet construction over the years. Now, I would like to combine my computer skills with my desire to build something tangible. I've been researching the PRT for a number of months. I have been following (and slowly searching through) the forum for almost as long. I visited ShopBot (thanks, Chris). I visited Baycraft Designs (thanks, Bill). I attended the Ohio Camp ShopBot (thanks, John). I bought of copy of TurboCad 7.1 (for $5 on eBay) and am working through the tutorials. I've downloaded the ShopBot demo software and am learning about PartWizard and the control software (too bad I can't save in PartWizard and watch my toolpaths cut on the screen). I am attending some business seminars at the local state university sponsored by the university's Small Business Development Center. They have been informative, and affordable. Last night I attended a seminar sponsered by our state's Dept. of Revenue on "Sales and Use Tax." (Essentially an hour of how to collect it and send it in. In all fairness, they did cover all of the necessary topics of buying and selling. And the seminar was free!)

I'm still doing my tool and market research before buying a Bot and want to be sure that I get the right size machine, router, and options. I do not have a definite product or service in mind yet, but do have a lot of ideas.

You stated in an earlier post "but something told me to go big or go home..." What size PRT did you get? I am undecided between the 4x8 and the 5x10. I know that Baltic Birch (BB) comes in 5x5 sheets. I have never built anything with BB, but don't want to accidentally limit myself. Also, I can get 5x8 sheets of melamine for cabinet construction as well as 4x8's. (I've built a few home offices with lots of cabinets using 3/4" 4x8 sheets of melamine.) The extra couple of feet required for the larger machine would not make that big of a difference in my shop. Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, could you describe the 52'x52" stencil in a little more detail? I'm curious what it was that you could sell for $4300. What did the $1000 material cost include? How long did it take to produce (design/cutting/etc.)? And, how did you find such a job? Was this a subcontract?

I need to make this a profitable business venture. I know there will be a learning curve with the machine that will take some investment of time. I'm actually looking forward to that challenge. I just want to be sure that my goal of profitable self-employment is realistic, and I have the correct tools available to make it happen.

Thanks,

Charles

kerrazy
10-01-2003, 08:17 PM
Charles,
as for table size, I have a PRT 96, which as you may already know accomadate a 4 X 8 sheet of material.
You can get Baltic Birch in 4 X 8 sheets as well.

The job I was refering to took about 30 minutes computer time to set up and about an average of 15 minutes a sheet to cut X 52 sheets give or take a few minutes for reloading the table with new sheets. I ran the job over a course of two days. My material costs where literlly 964.00 (18.50 per sheet) and I charged out 80.00 per sheet cut.The stencil was for a football field that they then spray painted the turf through it.

This was a subcontract for a local sign shop that I have aligned our shop with.

This month I have spent a lot of time on design and quotes rather than making dust but this investment should pay off quite well for Octobers revenues.

Be prepared for months of small jobs, and months of incredibly large jobs. In the end it will balance out. Ensure that you charge enough for each job, and be upfront about machine time and always guess high. I got stung on a job I invested many hours of machine time and computer time in and the fellow did not anticipate this even though warned it was a big undertaking. I chalked it up to a learning experience and from there on in I quote it with a large area of room for movement I can always come down if I can run the job cheaper but it is pretty difficult to peel the customer off the roof after the job is completed and then a number put on it.
If you need anymore info, give me a ring directly @613.266.3253

Dale

elcruisr
10-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Charles,
we opted for the 5x10 machine. While we do 90% of our work on a 4x8 space the extra size has landed us some work. In fact we do some work for shops that have cnc capabilities but not 5x10. The one caveat is do you really need the size? Before buying try to have a handle on just what your targeted product / services are going to be. We do a great deal of subcontract work for other shops and that can mean the extra size is needed. Our area has alot of scenery shops and they do large format work. I've even had one request to handle 4x12 stock. You may be in a totally different market.

Don't just think about the size of the machine but consider feeding and unloading space as well. We have an off load table at the end of our machine that is the same size as the vacuum table. When a file is done the whole sheet of parts is slid off the machine and a new sheet loaded. Parts are separated while the next file runs. If I had the room I'd also feed from a stack on a scissors table at the other end, as it is we side load. When setting up your shop try to keep in mind that if you're doing production runs you need to do everything you can to keep that machine cutting! Think material handling both incoming and outgoing.

Think about material hold down ahead of time. If you're running plywood or sheetstock go for the biggest vacuum pump you can get.

Good luck, if you need info on production work feel free to contact us.

Eric

bjwat@comcast.net
10-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Charles,
I too saw Bill Palumbo before I bought my Bot. I placed my order the next day...I have a unique machine, but overall it is 5X16. I bought 5X8 sheets of MEDEX, which is like MDF, but has plastic in it that makes it a bit more stable.

I'm going to address a few things that haven't been said in this thread yet. One thing that stands out is software. Get really good with whatever software you can afford and run that machine over and over again proofing your toolpaths. This will boost your confidence and you will know how to hold down material and how long it takes. It has taken me a good year to get comfortable with my machine and I'm still no master. Be confident that fluency with the machine will come with time...and don't be afraid to have fun!

Another thing that is outside of the conventional realm of advice, is who you choose to be with your ShopBot. By that I mean, it is within you to decide how successful you are and what being successful means. For me a new business and way of life called for a new way of being. The possibility I see for myself is the possibility of being outstanding and unstoppable. In order for me to live into that I cannot allow myself to get stopped when I mess up something and I have to make sure that I follow through on things that I say I am going to do, even when I don't feel like it.

When I started this thread, I gave off the notion that I didn't have confidence in the machine....when really I didn't have confidence in myself. The common denomonator on this board is that we all have ShopBots. Some of us are making tons of loot, while others are having a difficult time breaking even. The cause in that is the individual and his choice to be successful or not. Sounds simple, a bit trite and redundant, I know....but to me, being successful and making money with the Bot has more to do with who you 'be' than the equipment itself.

Does that make any sense?

-Brady

artisan
10-04-2003, 09:14 AM
The secret's in the software....and coffee....D

rgbrown@itexas.net
10-04-2003, 09:49 PM
No Darrell,

The SECRET, if there is one, is in knowing how to make the software do what you want the machine to do.

Each software package has its' own particular and peculiar abilities. Each operator has his/her own particular and peculiar anomalies of how they do things. The software that matches one is the software to use. What is good for one may or may not be good for others.

Really learning a software package is a time-consuming task. At John Forney's camp John had a remark he didn't care how good a particular CAD program was, he wasn't going to learn another one. I will have to be forced to learn another one, I have learned at least six in the past. Now, I use two or maybe three to do all I care to do. I don't care what kind of sophisticated tool path the latest, hottest CAD/CAM package has and how easy the well-trained salesperson makes the learning curve look, I don't want to afford the time it takes to master it. I damn sure don't want to work to pay the bank or feel like a hostage to my tools.

Hopefully when one buys tools, they buy enough tool for the job. Software is a tool. Be sure and not bring a knife to a gunfight.

Ron

kerrazy
10-05-2003, 08:11 AM
Ron,
I am with you, yes the people selling the software make it look simple, but 6 months later you're still scratching your head....

It truly is a learning curve of upwards to 6 months depending on how complex the software is. Especially if you use a seperate Cad and Cam program.
I use Profile Lab for all my 2D work and am trying to get a handle on Rhino and Visual Mill for 3D work. I have no CAD /CAm experience at all so this has been a challenge for me who I think I am am somewhat computer savy.

I think most useres could get away with ProfileLab or ArtCam Insignia and have years of success with it, it is when they get to the level of wanting to push the boundries of there machine into time consuming 3D work that they may want to venture into different software.

Remembering that 3D work as beautiful as it may be, takes up a lot of machine time, and to get a client to pay for that will be a bigger challenge.

I carved a duck head provided by Gene Marshall and the material dimensions were roughly 12 X 14 X 2 and it took 6 hours to cut out. Could I get the $390.00 machine time from it...Not likeley.
So keep it simple and as brady says, Don't be afraid to do a piece like the duck head I described because it is exciting to see the "fun" you could have with your machine, It will be a nice break for all the sheet goods and simple things you will most likeley run on your machine.

artisan
10-05-2003, 09:30 AM
So....maybe you guys misunderstood me, because you seem to be making my point all over again. I'm not advocating buying tons of software.... just the opposite. I AM saying that the difference in abilities between two Botters can be greatly enhanced or limited by their ability or skill to use their software. Once you've got the mechanics and techniques accomplished....the basic skills... then the secret....if there is one, truly does lie in the software Ron B.

There are now a number of new CNC machines in my area....some far more expensive and impressive than my Shopbot. They are eager to encroach on my business and they already have tooling capabilties that I cannot afford as yet. This forces me to be creative. My software gives me an incredible edge that they cannot overcome as of yet. The ONLY way I can compete with the Gerber and Komo machines that my competitors use is through my software knowledge. I cut complicated parts for my competitors who also won't take time to fully learn new CAD or CAM packages. Corel costs considerably less than Signlab or FlexiSign, yet I can outperform two local sign shops because I understand it so well. I also use some very high end 3D packages and do an awful lot of profitable 3D work....which many of you have seen.

Except for this forum, I have adopted mostly a "Show, Don't tell" policy at my business. However, I am happy to share info....and have with several Shopbotters off line. I must say, as respectfully as possible however, that if you don't grasp the power of software, you will truly forever have a knife at a gunfight....D

gerald_d
10-05-2003, 10:44 AM
But some guys are talking about using $$$aircraft carriers$$$ in this gunfight - going for software that is a total overkill. Darrel, you can also compete with the Gerber's and Komo's on price. We have five Multicams against us in Cape Town - we see them as an opportunity and not as a threat. They generate an awareness of CNC cutting and we easily undercut their prices because we don't have to service huge loans. We can can pick out the less complicated jobs and refer the tricky stuff to them.

rgbrown@itexas.net
10-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Darrel,

I think we may all be "on the same page". While I tend to make designs that use the bit cutting surface as part of the design, it is a totally different thought than doing true "3D Carving" where one uses a small bit and spends a lot of machine time. With my designs and concept I will play "by the square foot" and beat the fastest of the expensive machines.

I will also do jobs too small for the "big guys". Where I lived in Texas, there was a shop near me who had a machine with a vacuum pump more expensive than a ShopBot. I would get work on small orders of sign carving they could not afford the time to make the cutting files. I also made cutting files for them while they were learning their software.

One interesting thing is they were proficient in COREL, which I have never even opened a copy and have no plans to. I could open the files they sent, make them usable and send g-code back. That was a process that took them a month to master in the software they were "given" with the machine.

There is a lot to learn in running any machine, from a chisel to the space shuttle. Some take a little longer to master than others. As an old friend once stated, "You only need to know one thing, How."

Ron

gerald_d
10-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Another advantage that most of us SB'ers have over the bigger guys, is that we don't feel sorry for our machines. We drill holes through the tables, rewire, cut & weld till they are tuned for our applications. We can approach jobs from a less limited point of view. Again, the message to the "newbies" is that the only limit is YOURSELF.

artisan
10-06-2003, 07:42 AM
I just returned this morning from an out of town job and it looks as though we are in fact in agreement on things. Just to be clear on a few things. First, I don't wish for a different CNC Router....I'd rather have 2 more Bots to specialize for tasks or spend the money on other CNC machines. My Shopbot is fully capable....and as Gerald says..."we don't feel sorry for our machines"....so I have no fear of customizations.

Second....during my 8 hour drive yesterday, it occurred to me that my business is very different from a lot of other Shopbotters. My business lives and dies on "Art to Part" style custom work where we almost NEVER do the same thing twice. We constantly create NEW sculptures and signage for our clients. This requires that I am up to date on not only the best rendering software, but the most efficient means for converting the sketches to work files as well. I realize that most SB'ers will do much more in the way of repetition style work than I do and if that were the case, my focus would tend to shift more towards jigs and hold-down techniques I'm sure.

Ron, I also save time on 3D pieces by employing a method I call False 3D....or Stepped 3D, where I design larger pieces to be cut from sheets of 2 inch foam in steps, and then stacked and sanded by hand.....which is far, far faster than using a ball mill to do the job.

My point was simply that the software....and the ability to turn art files into work files almost instantly, has given me a tremendous edge in my business and I wanted to share that with other Shopbotters. Having said that....the single best software addition I have made recently, is a product called "SKETCHUP". It has helped my presentations immensely. It is important to hand the client a REAL wisualization of the idea. You can't make .SBP or cutting files from it.... but it will help you land the job....D

Paul
10-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Hi Darrell
That is a very neat programme, it is the quickest 3D drawing package I have tried, especially for drawing furniture and presentation.... you can pick things up pretty quick.

Paul

serge derbez
10-08-2003, 10:10 PM
I would like to see what the sketchup program is all about, is there a demo on the net or where can I get it
Serge

Paul
10-09-2003, 02:20 AM
Serge

I tried the demo download from their website..... www.sketchup.com

Paul