PDA

View Full Version : 3d carving and resolution

stockbub
03-21-2008, 11:45 PM
I am using Artcam and when I make a model I use the highest resolution. At the end, I smooth the model like 7 times. When I go to see what the resolution is, it is at the lowest setting. I raise it and say apply and it says that it cannot undo resolution change (Go back to what there was before). My model still has little dimples on it. How do you increase resolution and smooth models

Brady Watson
03-21-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure why your model tells you that the resolution is lower after smoothing. 'Automatic' smoothing almost never gives you what you want. Get familiar with the sculpting tools & use the automatic smoothing sparingly. There is rarely a need to smooth more than 2 or 3 times with the auto method.

-B

stockbub
03-22-2008, 09:13 AM
It is weird. I am making 8 foot long moldings. What would be the best process to smooth a molding. Take 8" piece and smooth it, then envelope distort that and then copy and paste? Just not reall happy with the results right now and do not know why I cannot get resolution to stick. I am using a 16th inch bit for final pass at 8% stepover

Brady Watson
03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Martin,
Without seeing the file, it's hard to say what the issue is. I'll take a look @ the RLF if you send it & make suggestions. Running v2008, correct?

-B