PDA

View Full Version : Uninterruptable Power Supplies for pc and shopbot control box

rickbot
09-04-2006, 06:15 PM
please could some one point me in right direction of a Uninterruptable Power Supply for my pc and shopbot control box.
i have a benchtop shopbot.
http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/Products/products.asp?type=dept&DepartmentID=304&MID=
what one would i need on this site thats powerful enough ??
thanks rick

harryball
09-04-2006, 06:41 PM
The company or the MFG website should be able to help you out more. www.apc.com (http://www.apc.com) is American Power Conversions

On overly simple terms, figure out how much your device draws. One way to do this is max amps x voltage. If you have a 30 amp breaker x 120v is 3600W which is the Maximum you can draw before a breaker trips. You want a VA around 30% larger than that Wattage number. So a 4200 VA would be just below that but probably OK since you are erring on a full load anyway. For the PC, a 300 va or so is generally plenty.

Run time on the backup power supplies is generally rated and full and/or half load. For example, a 4000 kva back ups might run 15 minutes at full load or 30 minutes at half etc...

Look up your exact numbers and you should be able to figure it out for your situation. I doubt you need to go the full breaker load in protection, but keep in mind if you go below that and the unit begins to draw more than the Back UPS can provide it will trip it's internal breaker.

A 1000W back UPS (about 1400 VA) retails for about $1000.00 Large 3000W and up Back UPS's can be expensive. I don't know what your unit draws.

Hope that helps,
Robert

patricktoomey
09-04-2006, 07:35 PM
A typical PC doesn't draw very much current. The ShopBot controller also doesn't really draw all that much. I had both of mine on a 600VA and it would hold them for at least 10 minutes even with the monitor also on the UPS. I have since upgraded to a 2000VA extended runtime system from APC. The only reason I did that was because I also wanted to power some other computers and servers from it and now I can keep the whole set of servers and controllers up for about an hour. We have frequent power outages here so I needed more than most people would.