PDA

View Full Version : My SB PC died help!!!

gundog
02-13-2009, 10:17 PM
My computer expert friend is going to look at it tomorrow for me. It is an older machine running on XP I may try and get it fixed.

All the new machines I looked at today all run Vista and they just have the home edition the upgrade is $199 after the purchase of the new machine. Would it be better to fix the old machine or buy a newer machine with Vista? I need to be making parts by Monday.

This could not happened at a worse time this is my busy season. I found an E machine at Staples for $329 + $130 for the upgrade. I don't use this machine for anything but running the SB. I am not sure just what to get if you were just buying a machine to run one SB what would you get?

Thanks Mike

gene
02-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Mike
I just bought a used pentium 4 2.8Ghz for 199. I am sure that you can find one near you for the same or less. if the only thing you are going to use it for is your bot this will work good. just make sure you turn off the auto update search . Gene

CajunCNC
02-13-2009, 11:35 PM
You can contact Dell . . . Purchase for a business and they will send your new computer out with XP Pro if you insist . . . Our office just got 6 new computers from Dell with XP installed. The labels on the outside say Vista, but XP is what came installed as our IT guys requested.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/vostrodt?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

jerry_stanek
02-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Take a look at this page. I buy from them and have one of their refurbished computers to run my bot and have had no problems with it.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0298301

ken_rychlik
02-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Mine died the second day I had it. Yesterday. I dug in the closet and found an old one we uesed to have in the family room.

Dell also has refurbished ones at their outlet center. You can see what is loaded on it and the speed, processor, ect. They are about half price.

ed_lang
02-14-2009, 09:03 AM
I am using a Dell GX270 right now. Nice machine. I have a new PowerSpec next to me from Micro Center ready to take its place just as soon as I get time. I was happy with my experience with Micro Center.

erik_f
02-14-2009, 10:49 AM
go to tigerdirect.com, newegg.com or geeks.com they all have off lease or refurbs with xp for less than $200.

jerry_stanek
02-14-2009, 11:10 AM
I go to Microcenter all the time for my computer parts. I have bought 7 refurbished Powerspecs from them and all have been rock solid. Needed to get them for my family.

gundog
02-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all help my son and computer friend were able to to reboot the machine with the install disc and get it going again.

After looking at the machine it apears I have allmost filled the hard drive with my cut files so I will be adding an external HD or high capacity jump drive to it. The computer is about 7 years old and only had a 5GB HD and I have 4.44GB worth of files on it.

I have been drawing on my lap top and then emailing the cut files to myself and picking them up in the shop but I think I am going to just start saving them on a jump drive and transfering them that way.

cabnet636
02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
rule of thumb "never load a drive to 75% of capacity"

jim

gundog
02-14-2009, 04:45 PM
They looked at it a little closer to find the hard drive had been split into 2 parts C & D drive the D drive was unformatted and after my son formatted it, it has another 52 GB of space. You can tell I don't know anything about this stuff but it makes sense when they explain it to me. Now if all is good I should be good for a while I hope fingers are crossed.

Mike

fmihm
02-15-2009, 07:28 PM
PacificGeek (http://www.pacificgeek.com/) is having a huge Presidents Weekend notebook and computer liquidation sale!

Here are six XP Pro systems for $109 to $159.
Dell FAST P4 2.8GHz XP Pro SYSTEM With (8) USB & More $109
IBM P4 3.0GHz XP Pro Computer Small, Fast & Cheap! $129
Dell GX280 P4 3.0 GHz Desktop Computer & XP Pro $139.99
Dell P4 2.6 GHz XP TOWER XP Pro System Special $139.99
Dell GX620 Optiplex 3.0GHz XP Pro System Now $149!
Dell Optiplex GX280 P4 3.0GHz, XP Pro System & more only $159.

You can even get free shipping. Somewhere it says/said: "Also if you miss this 3 hour opportunity we are going to run the same Coupon on Monday from Noon PST time to 3PM PST time 2-16-09."