PDA

View Full Version : Small Mahogany cabinet

magic
01-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Mahogany 6.5 inches wide

vectors, shape editor & sculpting in Artcam

Amana 5/32 ball nose at 1,3000 rpm (porter cable) @ 1.25 IPS one pass

5 coats 50/50 shellac & alcohol , a little stain and two coats of full strength shellac........ so far

The cobra figures stand-out from the frame .15 inch

50+ hours to program, 5.5 hours to cut parts, 4 hours to assemble. The king Tut panel, lifts out to expose the interior.

Photo using a video camera but adjusting lighting, Photoshop for the back round

I think everyone should give all those figures when they post, don't you?

rej
01-25-2010, 03:30 PM
50+ hours to program, 5.5 hours to cut parts, 4 hours to assemble.
satisfaction of a great piece like this - priceless!
nice job

magic
01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
I hope to sell two dozen

ricky_spearman
01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi Magic
Just sell the files for the cut and for us that cut our selves to make the cab. That's what we do any way.. The cut you designed looks great, nice work...
Ricky:

navigator7
01-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Somebody had to post this:
Might as well be me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWP-AsG5DRk

LOL @ Magic
Details! Give us details! ;-)
This was done on your Buddy, right?
Was the programming done from a photo or the hard core way?

Did it really take 50 hours of programming?

I like it....but what to you put in it?

Will you make dough on the first sale?

Nice job!

dlcw
01-25-2010, 09:51 PM
VERY COOL!!

Not much idle time for you or your machine. :-)

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

magic
01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
chuck

Alpha 48 96. All paths were generated from vectors and many were changed. It took me half a dozen tries .

It's called the Golden Disk Of Amun-Re where a disk (not shown) penetrated on and off a magic wand, running through the cabinet,

Yes 50+hours. I kept making changes.

wberminio
01-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Great carving.
I like the detail.

rb99
01-28-2010, 01:37 AM
Are there a lot of magicians?

magic
01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Collectors who can afford this type of magic are in a different category as most performers. There are probably 200,000 hobbyists but only 300 who have the where-with-all to acquire a piece like this.

I'm having a big problem educating people as to the worth of something like this because there has never been anything like it in the magic world (that I'm aware of). Here is a link on the artcam forum which addresses this problem. Thank you
http://forum.artcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10299

dlcw
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Magic,

One of things I do for all of my higher end projects is to document through photography and short videos, the process and work involved in doing this level of project. Once they see what goes into their project they have a much greater appreciation for its value.

Before I started doing this I had a hard time explaining to people valuable versus commodity products.

Just an idea that has worked for me.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

magic
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
That's the direction I'm headed in but at what point do you become a martyr?

mikeacg
01-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Magic,

I run into the same problems all the time with my wooden boxes. To get the money you need for a product based on time and materials, you can't compete. Could you not take your original design and have it cast in resin, retaining the woodgrain and painting it to match? Would it still look just as good on stage as a real wooden one? I think that is part of the problem we face. Unless it absolutely has to be wood, technology (and that includes cheap shipping and cheap foreign labor) has made it too easy to mass-produce a product, retaining the original look for a fraction of the cost. Look at all the figurines in gift stores today - stone or wood is no longer used though you wouldn't know it from a distance! They are all cast using something cheap and easy to work with. In the case of stone items, the fakes are easier to ship because of the reduced weight making them a great internet sale. In the case of wood, the fakes are easier to take care of since they are unaffected by temperature and humidity. I have done some pieces that I thought would be a 'no-brainer' for sales but, because of my costs, I have ended up giving the prototypes away as gifts and moved on to new ideas. My product then becomes unique, original product ideas that I can produce in small quantities, quickly.

I'm no martyr...

Mike