PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on a software package

waynec@gorge.net
09-11-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm close to being a shopbot owner (next week I think), and I'm considering what software to use, as this unit only includes the DOS software.

I'm a furniture maker, with many tasks similar to cabinet makers. Routing out panels, drilling, dados and joinery, edging, that sort of thing.

I'm comfortable with Corel Draw, but I'm willing to learn new software if that's a better path. I've looked at SO MUCH SOFTWARE I can't make sense of it all. And its all TOO EXPENSIVE.

Can I use Corel and some sort of CAM program to do these tasks? What CAM would you recommend for this use?

If Corel is the wrong tool, what sort of package would you recommend? I'd love to stay under $1000, but if there is a valuable step up in the $1500 range, I'll sell my wife's car for the difference (joke).

I also think that I'd rather crawl up one learning curve than buy an intro package and then have to relearn a new system in order to add 3D, or 4/5 axis.

I'd greatly appreciate the opinions of other woodworkers in particular. Anyone with a used package to sell?

W

Brady Watson
09-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Wayne,
From the list of tasks you want to do on your new ShopBot, it sounds to me like PartWizard (about $500 or so from ShopBot) will do just about everything you need to do. It is a 2D package and it is made by DelCAM for ShopBot. I don't know of any other package out there for that price that does design and toolpathing.

I wouldn't say that Corel is the right or wrong program. You can create a vector drawing in Corel, Illustrator or any CAD program and export it as a DXF. You can pull it right into PartWizard, setup your material parameters and toolpath it. Your design program is just a matter of preference.

-Brady

jay
09-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Wayne, the work I do, is very similar to you. Yes, you can do designs in Corel or an inexpensive CAD program and very easily import them into PartWizard as Brady mentioned above. PartWizard will do most of the things you will want to do. I am surprised Brady did not mention that most of the money to be made with a ShopBot is in 2D or 2 1/2D cutting. 3D work is very time comsuming as far as machining time is concerned. I have found the product has to sell for a lot of money before you can make up for all the work you could have done in 2D with the same cutting time.

Please also realize the principal of CNC Routing has not changed in years but it takes three components to producing high quality marketable work.

1) A Good CNC machine (which the ShopBot is)

2) Good tooling. Don't buy cheap all purpose bits. Your finished product is only as good as your cuts and you will save time by having to do less hand finishing.

3) Over the last few years, it is the software that has has improved tremendously. If you can't put it on the screen you can't cut it.

Get accustomed to your machine with PartWizard, learn what you can and more importantly what you can't do, or can do better by hand, then when comfortable and profitable use the proceeds to purchase the software best suited for the work you can readily market.

Brady Watson
09-11-2004, 10:50 PM
You are right, Jay. Generally speaking, 3D stuff is not a very good return on your time investment...However, I get a lot of satisfaction doing 3D stuff and it is what sets me apart from larger shops in my area with machines cutting 2D parts 3 shifts.

I don't run a production shop & refuse to cut MDF or low-end cabinet parts. My ShopBot(s) suppliment my wood/plastic/metal fabrication shop.

-Brady

robtown
09-12-2004, 08:13 AM
You can do everything you need to do (as stated) with a combo of Corel and Parts Wizard. I had the luck to work at a shop that had a sustantial investment in a Program called CabinetVision, I can now layout my cabinets, like CV did, in Corel with blind dados and rabbets, and all that.

I'm currently considering a way to use excel to make the cabinet layouts parametric. Of course, I don't do many basic cabinets, I'm all about the custom stuff.

ron brown
09-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Wayne,

You might check and see if you can update the Vector license, if the machine was originally sold with Vector.

I don't use Corel but I have converted a bunch of Corel files to toolpaths for a local sign company. I used Vector.

Part Wizzard is limited in what it can do. But, with a little thinking, one can get a lot from just working 2D- and learn the machine, which is a good part of the learning curve.

I suggest going to all the "Camps" you can to develop an understanding of different folks approach to the same problem. You will also develop relationships that can help you with the learnig curve of new projects.

Ron

johnny_s
09-13-2004, 01:34 AM
as long as you can export your corel drawing as a dxf into partwizard, then, you shouldn't really need anything else. I know adobe illustrator can export dxf, but I cannot accurately build or place holes in it. My graphic designer friends can though. So if you can build cabinet parts with corel, and it exports dxf, you don't need anything.

robtown
09-13-2004, 07:36 AM
exporting .ai files from Corel yields better results for me.

kaaboom_99
09-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Hi Wayne. Just for information, I do almost ALL my work in Corel 8. I layer my drawings by tooling, I contour all appropriate parts for toolpaths, I drill (using a circle that is 0.003" to mark location), and I engrave. I export each layer as a separate .dxf for conversion with a separate name eg. SIGN002a or SIGN002b or SIGN002c etc. which allows me to set the various depths I want. I always view in draft mode and I set up a custom page that was 96" x 48"
I don't know of any 2d work that I couldn't tackle with corel 8