PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating cutting file.

ascentone
05-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I need help creating a cutting file, and I will pay for this service. The project consists of a 40" wide x 94" high panel with grooved patterns to resemble waves across the panel. Please contact me for more details if you can help. Great jamboreee in Durham... I met lots of talented & intersting people plus learned many new things... thank you!

mrdovey
05-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Questions:

1. Does the wave pattern need to be tile-able (transition invisibly to adjacent identical panels)?

2. What kind of schedule are you on?

3. Do you have a clear notion of what you want in terms of wave length, amplitude, and cross section?

4. How important is machine time (I'm already assuming that you have an at least 96x48 'Bot)? It looks possible to optimize machining time by careful selection of bits - but that may involve noticably more tool cost. Some guidance would be appropriate.

I may be able to help.

charles_o
05-04-2006, 08:05 PM
This is a similar thread. so I don't know if the tecniques will help or not.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/2/12995.html?1146768915

gerald_d
05-05-2006, 01:04 AM
The trough of the wave shown in the pic above appears to have a varying "radius" - cannot be done with simple passes of a ball-nose cutter?

ascentone
05-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the replies!
Here's some more info...
1. Yes, pattern needs to continue from one panel to the next without any breaks in the pattern.
2. I need to cut the panels within the next 45 days.
3. The picture shown is the best guide I have... doesn't have to be an exact match, just a similar scale.
4. We have a 60" x 120" machine & machine time is not too critical since we need to cut five 40" x 94" panels.

Thanks.

jhicks
05-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm not confident this idea would work BUT thought I would throw it out there for those more adept at such a challenge. I would simply draw the "wavy lines" the variable distances apart for the "look desired" and consider running the file "between vectors" in a V carve strategy but run it with a very large core box/cove cutter. I'm thinking of a 2.0" or perhaps larger bit so the depth of the cuts and the sloping effect as it rises and falls in the narrower and deeper sections would be a function of the large ball nose diameter and depth or a maximum depth control setting.
I'll look forward to hearing why this does NOT make sense.

Just a thought

gerald_d
05-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Jerry, you need more confidence, of course it will work.

But, if you are using a 2" ballnose cutter to give you the bottom shape, then there is probably a simpler way. Realise that nobody has said that the tops of the ridges must be level with the original surface. Rather go for the bottom of the grooves being at the same height. If the grooves are all 1/4" deep then your 2" diameter sphere can cut a pair of ridges 1.32" apart.

So, draw wavy lines no more than 1.32" apart, cut them 1/4" deep, and Bob's your uncle. No?

bleeth
05-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Post moved to another thread.

jhicks
05-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks Gerald for the reassurance. Once in a while I actually think I get it but as I read all the seemingly exotic options, I can't help but wonder why the "simple approach" in my head wouldn't work or why the other proposed solutions get so complex. Oh well, off to new challenges and thanks for the positive feedback.