PDA

View Full Version : Downtime

zorlack
06-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm in between shows right now, but I just had some new gear show up. A collet from Precision Bits and some new round-nose bits.

I'm not the kind of person that can have new toys and then wait for an occasion to use them.

So I carved reddit (http://www.reddit.com)'s alien mascot out of pink foam.

Shot some video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44xemf1CYhY) just for the heck of it.

-D

david_gardner
06-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Watching your video I realized how smooth your prt runs. Mine seems to "slam" at each end of a raster pass with enough force to shake the table. Yours seems to change direction very smoothly.

Any ideas what could be causing my "slamming"?

Care to share your ramp values?

zorlack
06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Hmm... I'm afraid I don't have any magic to share.

I'm using the default values out of the 48x96PRT config file that ships with the Shopbot software.

I was running the bot flat out during this cut. I had the XY speed at 6IPS and the Z speed at 3IPS. There was definitely no slamming...

Are you using more aggressive ramping values?

-D

david_gardner
06-12-2009, 07:56 AM
I've tried everything from the default values to Brady's aggressive values and it just bangs back and forth. I don't think the banging is hurting the machine but it is definitely hitting hard enough to leave marks in the workpiece.

cutitout
06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I have a bounce at the end of the raster also but I am on a wooden table and it has had it share of "G" pulling it in all directions.

Was the video run at a faster speed? I am running at 6IPS and it does not look as quick.

what software and post did you use?

Thanks

zorlack
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
David, if you rotate the raster direction by 90 degrees do you get the same shaking?

Eric, Yeah the video is sped way up... I didn't want to bore people by making them watch two hours of machining hehe.

I'd say its probably running the video at 4x to 6x.

cutitout
06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
thought it was fast -- to bad I was hoping you had the magic settings for foam cutting speed.

david_gardner
06-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes, it slams in both directions.

magic
06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
change your ramping speed.

zorlack
06-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, I'm not an expert on these matters, but it brings to mind a few questions:

Does changing the ramping speed have any noticeable affect on tool movement?

Is it possible that the ramping values are being ignored for some reason?

If you used a ridiculously slow ramping value, would the tool obey, and would the slamming stop?

david_gardner
06-12-2009, 03:55 PM
I have never tried a ridiculously slow ramp speed. I've tried the factory default and Brady's supped up ones with no noticeable difference.

coach
06-12-2009, 04:59 PM
David, I was cutting 3D files in foam. I was getting a lot of the banging you mention. I was moving x and y at 7 IPS and Z was 1.7 IPS.
Ryan at shopbot told me I could try 10 in x & y and 10 for the Z. I could not believe how smooth it cut. Literally no banging.
I don't know what you should run your machine at. I have an alpha.
David

david_gardner
06-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I also have an alpha. I usually run my 3D files at 2-3 ips in x and y and .5 - 1 ips in Z but I'm cutting hardwoods. I'll try some test pieces where I run the Z speed closer to the x and y speed and see what that does.

cutitout
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
WOW -- would love to get speeds up that fast

I most of the time have a +/- 1/16 tolerance -- and would love to have the speed.